Author Topic: Tasmanian lookup request please - CANNON - YOUNG  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Jen10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmanian lookup request please - CANNON - YOUNG
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 November 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys!  That is amazing!

Since the hints from Sue I had been looking into a few things.  I had come up with Thomas, born in 1850 as well.  It seems he may have married Agnes Smith, with whom he had a child (Thomas, who died aged about 1).  I think that Agnes was the wife that died aged 36.

Then I had thought that he had perhaps married Mary Jane (transcribed incorrectly as Mary Louisa, the mother of the boys?).  I did not notice the Mary Jane Milbank.  Is it possible he had 3 ladies on the go?  Or perhaps there is more than one Thomas.

The electoral rolls seem to point towards Mary Jane and Thomas being the people who died in 1927 and 1932. 

The Mary Louisa Young who was born in 1862 appears to have married Bruce Gunn, according to the Tas archives.

Are the Tasmanian Heritage Archives likely to have been mis-transcribed?  I think Louisa and Jane are not similar names though!

I am very confused now!  I very much appreciate the time you guys have given to help me out.  Thank you.

Jen

Edit:  Bruce Gunn appears to have been alive and well in the 1900s, however a Bruce Gunn married a Mary Ann Miller in 1900.

How big was Tassie at that time?  Is it likely that there were all these people with the same names in Launceston, or would it be a reasonably assumption that they are the same people?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 November 13 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I had come up with Thomas, born in 1850 as well.  It seems he may have married Agnes Smith, with whom he had a child (Thomas, who died aged about 1).  I think that Agnes was the wife that died aged 36.

Marriage of Thomas and Agnes
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-35347-7450-74?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-98H:n1251519084

Then I had thought that he had perhaps married Mary Jane (transcribed incorrectly as Mary Louisa, the mother of the boys?).  I did not notice the Mary Jane Milbank.  Is it possible he had 3 ladies on the go?  Or perhaps there is more than one Thomas.

I am not sure what you mean by this?  Agnes died in 1889, making Thomas a widower.  He then seems to have had a relationship with Mary Louisa YOUNG. She may well have been married to Bruce GUNN which would be why she was unable to marry Thomas.  When she died in 1897 he was again a widower and he then married Mary Jane MILBANK(E) in 1906.

Death of Agnes (1889)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-35348-7197-83?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-9N6:n1449487142

Birth of Thomas Charles CANNON (1893)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-35345-8851-41?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-9JD:736059955

The page containing the record of John Charles' birth in 1895 appears to be missing from the images on FamilySearch, or it may be incorrectly placed.

Death of Mary (Louisa) CANNON (1897)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-35347-3089-79?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-9J3:1484518952

Inquest
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=Q&id=8743

You would need to purchase the 1906 marriage certificate between Thomas CANNON and Mary Jane MILBANKE but I am confident that it would confirm his age and occupation.

My previous comment:  "It may be safe to speculate that although Mary Louisa YOUNG was the biological mother of the children, it was Mary Jane who raised them after their mother's early death in 1897.  If that is Thomas' second marriage in 1906, the relationship may have started some time before the actual marriage."

Debra  :)

Offline Jen10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 November 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Debra.  Being new to this, I hadn't seen the family search site.  It's a great resource!

The link you gave to Mary Louisa's death said that she was born in Hobart, and her age was 36.  There is another Mary Louisa Young on the Family Search Site, born in Hobart in 1861, which would make her the perfect candidate - not the same person as the one born in Launceston in 1862 who married Bruce GUNN.  This is her: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT8N-DF8

I originally wondered if perhaps they had made a mistake and written Mary Louisa instead of Mary Jane on the birth records of the children.  I didn't even think about Mary Jane Milbanke's marriage to Thomas as being the same Thomas, as I thought that he would be married to Mary Louisa.  It seems he didn't have much trouble finding partners!  It's all starting to come together now....

I will look into this further!  Thanks again for your time in helping me.

Jen

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

There were two Mary Louisa YOUNGs and both married.

The first is to John Thomas RING/KING in January 1886 at Sheffield.  She was aged c23 and was a farmer's daughter.  A John YOUNG witnessed the marriage, perhaps her father?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-35346-12382-75?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-98R:n2061878313

Looking at a baptism for another of John and Sarah YOUNG's children in 1881 at Sheffield the register does confirm that he was a farmer.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-35347-3706-54?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-9N7:n1949252724

This Mary Louisa went on to have a family right through to at least 1898 as far as I can see.

The second Mary Louisa married Bruce GUNN in 1881 at Launceston, she was aged c21 and was an overseer's daughter.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-35347-17108-51?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-98N:n1796659756

The baptism of another child of James and Louisa Ann YOUNG's children at Launceston in 1877 confirms that James was an overseer at HM gaol.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-35349-22113-83?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-9FP:n2043306528

I can only see one child registered to Bruce and Mary Louisa in 1887 and note from the marriage record that Bruce was also a fisherman.

I think that on the balance of probabilities, your Mary Louisa was the daughter of James and Louisa Ann, and she had a relationship with Thomas CANNON while still married to Bruce GUNN.

Debra  :)

Offline Jen10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking these up for me Debra.  I really appreciate your time, and it has given me a lot to go on.  I am finding out more each day!

Jen

Offline applemarketing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen 10,
I came across the RootsChat website while searching for info on my grandfather Thomas Cannon and on my grandmother Vera Tyler (Cannon) - both deceased.
From your info, I'm 100% sure that I'm the grandson (now aged 69, coincidentally my birthday on the day that I came across your post.).
If you would like to let me know the reason and what you are seeking, I can probably fill you in on a lot of the detail.
I have no reason to register with RootsChat so I'm happy to provide the info by email - email removed by moderator please use the private message function
Best regards,
KEVIN MOORE

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

The missing page from online BDM's for Launceston 1895 has the birth of Henry John Cannon on the 13 November 1895 at 131 Patterson Street, Launceston. Father Thomas Cannon, fisherman and Mary Louisa Cannon (nee Young) Informant was M L Cannon, Mother, 131 Paterson St, Launceston.

Cheers,

Peter  :)

Offline applemarketing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
JEN 10 was enquiring regarding THOMAS CANNON and VERA TYLER - I am the grandson (now 69) of that couple.

I never met Thomas (he died before my birth) but they had three children - Veronica Olive (known as Rita), Keith and Charles.

I have a photo of Thomas and several photos of Vera (buried at Carr Villa Cemetery).

Thomas was a fisherman and sail maker and the above families ran one of the most successful fish shops in Launceston - on the corner of George Street.

A trivia is that he caught a fish that had never been seen before and it is in the Launceston Museum.

If you would like detailed info on the children (and their respective families to this day) of Thomas, please let me know.

I'd be curious to know of your connection and the reason for your interest in Thomas ?

Regards,

KEVIN MOORE

Offline Jen10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply - I have moved back to Australia and changed my email address, so didn't realise you had posted.  I would love to chat to you privately - I will send you a pm and hope that you will get it!

Peter - thank you very much for the information.

Cheers,

Jen