Author Topic: Webb Family, Gloucester  (Read 5660 times)

Offline juliannej7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Webb Family, Gloucester
« on: Tuesday 05 November 13 02:28 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace more information about the Webb family of Gloucester.  I have Nathaniel Webb,
his wife Sarah Webb, they had two children, Thomas and Jane.  In 1841 they lived in Rack Hill,
Bisley, Stroud.  Nathaniel was a millman?  in the later 1851 census both children had left, and the
census shows that Nathaniels sister, Mary Webb was also living with them, she is listed as a paupers cloth finisher?  Ive traced Thomas in the 1851 census as a lodger (if my research is correct) at
gloucester rd, upton st leonards, gloucester, he is listed as being unmarried, and occupation is carpenter.  Jane I am very interested in as she would be my great great grandmother.  She had left and married in 1845 to a John Haskins.  Has anybody else any connections with this Webb Family,
or any tips on how I can trace more.  From my research so far, it looks like they were all employed
in milling trade.  Thanks, any tips, help, info will be greatly received

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Webb Family, Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Marriage;
19 September 1824, All Saints, Bisley, Gloucestershire
Nathaniel WEBB
Sarah WALKER
(Source FreeREG)

May be a second Marriage for Nathaniel or Mary also given their ages in 1824.

Seems good a Children in 1841 Census are born c 1825 and 1828

NATHANAEL and MARY Webb were both Christened same day, 23 May 1779, Bisley
Father JOHN Webb
Siblings;
WILLM, 17 Jan 1768
ELIZ, 01 Aug 1771
SARAH, 03 Sept 1775
HESTER, 28 Sept 1777
MARTHA 15 Oct 1780
(Source Familysearch.Org)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 04:59 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 Census living near Nathaniel/Sarah are WILLM/HANNAH Webb;

On FreeEREG are these Marriages who are likely Nathaniels Siblings;
WILLIAM Webb and Hannah FORTUNE, 14 July 1800
MARTHA Webb and William SUTTON, 26 Jan 1807

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline juliannej7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Trisha, thank you so much for all the information you have posted to me.  That is so helpful and I am really grateful!!!  I am trying to trace more on Jane Webb, who was the daughter of Nathaniel and Sarah Webb.  She married in 1845 a John Haskins, and so became Jane Haskins.  Oddly, although they married in 1845, I cannot trace them in the 1851 census, though I have traced them in all the census's after 1851, where they then lived in Downend, Bristol.  I cant understand why I cant trace them as living together in 1851 as they were definetely married in 1845.
My other interests now also are to find out more about the Webb family, with all your information posted to me that should be alot easier.  Thank you.  I have discovered it seems they all worked in
the cloth mills in stroud.  Would anybody know what a paupers cloth finisher would be?  as this is listed as Mary Webbs employment.  Again, you have been really helpful. Thank you.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome I am glad I could help.

Re Mary Webb it reads Pauper (that is she was poor) and that she was a cloth finisher.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Are you sure that the 1845 Marriage is right?
I see Jane Webb and John Haskins on the page but according to Familysearch.Org;

Jane WEBB, Father GEORGE Webb, married William ROWE, 25 December 1845, St. Paul, Bristol, Gloucester, England

William Rowe is another possible Spouse on that page

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has John marrying Susan THOMPSON, same date (she is another Spouse on FreeBMD Reg)

Offline juliannej7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:51 GMT (UK) »
How strange.  Im getting a bit lost now :-[  I know for sure that Jane married John Haskins,
they are married in Gloucester in 1845.  But now I am wondering if Webb is the correct maiden name. I hope so as I have been following that line for some time now, and it did all seem to fit.  However I could never understand why Jane married John in 1845 yet couldnt be found together as a married couple in the 1851, though I can see them in the census's for 61,71, and 81.
I discovered the name Webb as Janes Maiden Name before she married John Haskins, through
FindmyPast, and Ancestory Websites.  what would be the best way forward?!!! 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Ah I think something is very wrong here personally.

Have you just been copying others Family Trees?

Does anyone actually have a Birth Cert of one of John/Janes Children to confirm her maiden name?