Author Topic: Lookup please - Yorkshire Post and/or Yorkshire Evening Post, Nov. 1922  (Read 5663 times)

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup please - Yorkshire Post and/or Yorkshire Evening Post, Nov. 1922
« on: Tuesday 05 November 13 07:26 GMT (UK) »
While I live in Australia, I am aware that Leeds was/is in West Riding/West Yorkshire but I understand that the Yorkshire Post & the Yorkshire  Evening Post were/are distributed throughout Yorkshire. I am looking for a YP or YEP article featuring a broadcast from London on 14 November 1922 that was received in City Square, Leeds and relayed to a crowd that filled the square for the event. Neither the British Newspaper Archive nor findmypast's British Newspapers database offer either the YP or YEP for the date/period in question nor can I find other online databases that offer relevant access. Please could SKS identify the library(ies) that have a copy of the relevant article/report and obtain a copy for me? The article/report should feature (John) Cyril Ratciffe of Dewsbury Road, Leeds as the owner/operator of the receiving wireless equipment.
Many thanks in anticipation of somebody's kind assistance.
AL

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please - Yorkshire Post and/or Yorkshire Evening Post, Nov. 1922
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you contacted West Yorkshire Archives to see if they can help

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/archives-ask-the-experts.asp

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info Dawn. I've emailed the WYAS Leeds archive to ask whether they hold copies of one or both newspapers for publication days in November 1922.

AL

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Al,

They should have it at Leeds Central Library, I will go in and have a look for you.  Hopefully on Thursday.

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:16 GMT (UK) »
If you hear back from WYAS before Thursday let me know.

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed Elin - most kind of you! Suspect I won't hear from WYAS till next week, if then, as they're closed this week.
AL

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I will go in on Thursday then AL.

Elin :)

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Great Elin, thank you again.
AL

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elin,
Further research suggests that if the Leeds City Square broadcast event didn't take place on 14 Nov. or 15 Nov. 1922, as mentioned in my earlier post to this forum, then it took place 17 months later, on 23 April, 1924. That day, King George V and Queen Mary opened the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley, Middlesex and King George made the first radio broadcast by a British monarch, which was relayed to major cities around Britain, including Leeds. The Daily Mail (London) claimed credit for publicising the event and making special arrangments for massed crowds to hear the King's speech via the radio broadcast. Trust this may help your search when you visit Leeds Central Library tomorrow.
Cheers
AL