Author Topic: Lookup please - Yorkshire Post and/or Yorkshire Evening Post, Nov. 1922  (Read 5657 times)

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please - Yorkshire Post and/or Yorkshire Evening Post, Nov. 1922
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Ok AL I will check both dates and thereabouts.

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 November 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Al,

Sorry but I haven't had any luck.  I looked in the YEP, the YP and the Leeds Mercury for both dates. I could find nothing relating to radio broadcasts for the first date.

There was a lot of material relevant to the broadcast of the King's speech but sadly no mention of John Cyril Radcliffe.  The broadcasts in Leeds took place in Victoria Square in front of Leeds Town Hall and at the Mansion in Roundhay Park.  The photo's shown are for Roundhay Park and while one of the articles mentioned who had provided the radio equipment for the Park no mention was made about who was responsible for the equipment at Victoria Square.

What information do you already have about this, could it give us any clues?

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.  :(

Elin

Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 November 13 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elin,

Congratulations, you've cracked it - I'm sure now of the event and its location! I have 2 photographs of the event, with Cyril Ratcliffe and his wireless equipment set up at the base of a major monument/statue which is set in a large square. Unfortunately, the heavy smog/fog makes the location very difficult to identify from the photos and we assumed incorrectly that it was City Square. However, having your information and then looking via Leodis at photos of the Queen Victoria monument (which was located in Victoria Square from 1905-1937), I am convinced that Cyril & his equipment was set up there on 23 April 1924, with his back to Leeds Town Hall and the statue of Sir Robert Peel to his right side.

Thank you very much indeed for your most helpful research.

AL

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 November 13 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello AL,

I am really pleased that it has been of some use!  :) It is good to have the event confirmed.  I've just been looking at the Leodis pictures, it looks so different now.  I think that the Robert Peel statue is now in Hyde Park, Leeds and I don't know what happened to Queen Victoria.  It's a much smaller space now.

Best wishes, Elin