Author Topic: gralorn's Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
gralorn's Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 05 November 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to another Scavenger Hunt, it's been a while since we had one.  This week you would be helping gralorn to knock down a wall four other families are kicking away at, I'm sure you can help.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

The Allards / Allwoods/ Alyards

I have, and others also, been trying to break down a ‘Proverbial Brick Wall’ found in Wetheringsett, Suffolk in 1773 for the last eleven (11) years. Is anyone able to assist?

We are trying to establish the parents of James Allwood (variation of Allard) who was married to Mary Potter at the church of All Saints on the 17th May 1773.

The register states: James Allwood of this parish, single man and Mary Potter. of this parish, single woman, Married 17th of May 1773, by Rayner Bellman (Curate). In the presence of Thomas Quinton and John Sheppard.

Interestingly James and John Sheppard signed their names (educated) Mary and Thomas made their mark. Sheppard was the Parish Clerk. Their Banns were read out on 5th, 12th and 18th of May 1773. Is anyone able to assist in helping us break down this wall and identyfying James parents in order to go further back in the Family History of the Allards. After 11 years there is no rush.

Additional information

There are that I know of four families trying to break down this proverbial wall. We all start at the marriage on 17 May 1773.
James died in July 1808 and was buried at Wetheringsett, All Saints on 24 July 1808.
Mary died in 1810 and was buried on the 10 September 1810 at Wetheringsett, All Saints.
They had the following children:
James Allard born 2 December 1773 at Mickfield, Suffolk, died 1853 was a twin to John Allard born 2 December 1773 at Mickfield, Suffolk, died 17th December 1773 (other twin)
John Allard born 23 March 1777 died 1831
Edmund Allard born 2 November 1778 died 1851 buried Kenton, Suffolk
Sarah Allard born 1780
Joseph Allard born 22 December 1782
Elizabeth Allard born 23 April 1775
William Allard born 1778
Mary Allard born 12 February 1786 (died the same day – infancy death)
Henry Allard born 2 February 1794 (died the same day – another infancy death)
Jane Allard born 27 April 1806 (died the same day – third infancy death in a row)
Jeremiah Allard born 5 September 1790 died 16 March 1860 (My direct descendant) he marries Lydia nee Warner.

That is about all I have about James & Mary, as I say we have lots from the marriage forwards, but nothing prior. Any assistance would really be most welcome indeed as there are lots of Allards prior to 1773, its getting the right one as you well know. Thanks, looking forward to see what may be found. Regards Graham
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Re: gralorn's Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
D-Day and the challenge to knock down the wall for me and others is on! We would really love to get through this time. What is annoying is knowing that there are lots of Allards prior to the marriage in May 1773, but just not being able to link to them. My Nan used to always tell me when I was just a little lad that we came over with William The Conqueror, nice thought, but of course no evidence for such a story as I realise now that I am all grown up! So here is hoping for that sledgehammer!

Thank you in anticipation

Graham
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Being super-picky here, but it may be confusing that there are a couple of typos in the first post.  Marriage mentioned first two times has the date as 1733, rather than 1773.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Being super-picky here, but it may be confusing that there are a couple of typos in the first post.  Marriage mentioned first two times has the date as 1733, rather than 1773.

Oooooooooooops!!   All fixed.     

Thanks for that.                 :D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Another picky query (perhaps) but the marriage took place the day before the third publication of Banns  ??? ???

Colin

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 November 13 08:54 GMT (UK) »
That is what is recorded in the Parish Register so not for one minute do I think it's wrong, strange I agree as the proverbial horse has bolted, but factual!
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 November 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Well this has been most productive! Have to say that I do feel a little dissapointment to say the least, was hoping at least 'for a starter for ten' as they say. Oh well still a couple of days, so who knows what may crop up yet.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:16 GMT (UK) »
just one thought, did mary really have her first child in 1773 and her last in 1806, she must have been very young when she married.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 November 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
just one thought, did mary really have her first child in 1773 and her last in 1806, she must have been very young when she married.

The same thought struck me, but I  suspect that this child, born 1806, may well have been a daughter of James the son, born 1773.  He could easily have had a wife called Mary too.  But in a way, that's neither here nor there, as Graham is trying to go back to earlier generations.

It must be disappointing to have no leads, but perhaps not surprising as you and several others have been looking for a decade or more.  Not knowing Suffolk,  all I can suggest is some general points; have you chased up wills for this family and other Allards in the area? have you looked at the parish records for other churches nearby including identifying any gaps in the records where James' baptism could have been recorded but is now lost? have you looked at other records at the local records office eg manorial records, tax records, parish overseers records for the years around 1750 to see if there is anything there? have you checked for Allard marriage records in case James' mother married/remarried after his birth and baptism under a different name - it was quite common for a child up to the age of 10 or so to adopt the name of his stepfather - exploring this will require quite a bit of cross-checking ie looking for baptism of James X and subsequent marriage of mother X to a Mr Allard.  Have you checked births in his siblings' families for a couple of generations on in case they gave their children middle names that reflected their family history (eg my grandfather's middle name was Hastings, which was the maiden name of his great grandmother).

Finally, the Scavenger hunts never close - weeks or months on, someone with the info you need may come across the thread - you just have to keep your notifications on and play a waiting game.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway