Author Topic: Harris family  (Read 4925 times)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harris family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 November 13 12:11 GMT (UK) »
If you look back to the 1871 census there were two Eliza Harris`s born c.1825 Dorstone.  The one married to William and living in Kentchurch with no apparent children and the widowed Eliza in the workhouse at Abbey Dore with children:

Eliza Harris, Widow, 46, Dorstone
Hannah, 10, Newton
James, 8, Newton
Fanny, 6, Newton
Charles, 9 months, Newton

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline taffysmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 June 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Within my family tree the Harris family originated in the Michaelchurch/ St. Margarets area of Hereford. They are my mother's father's family. Two brothers Thomas (my gg grandfather) and his younger brother George arrived in Cwmbran via Ponthir in the 1860's. Eliza Harris (nee Stephens) is indeed the stepmother of both Thomas and George and married their father, Thomas in Clodock on the 5th March 1851. There were three children from this marriage; John b 1856, Ann b 1858 and William b 1860. Eliza also had two other children from unknown fathers Elizabeth born when Eliza was only 12 or 13 years old and Charles b 1871. The Vitriol Works manufactured sulphuric acid which was used in the numerous tinplate works in the area it closed in the 1930's. My GG Grandfather Thomas Harris rose to become the manager there until his death in 1905. He was twice married to two different Rachels. My family are descendants of his first Rachel. George was also twice married his first wife Emily died in 1880 and they had three children; William, Thomas and George. His second wife Julia Bond gave birth to three children; Eleanor, Walter and Arthur.

Offline taffysmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 June 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
To Clarify the Eliza Harris you refer to with the four children Hannah, James, Fanny and Charles were in the Abbeydore Workhouse in 1871. Eliza was the widow of Thomas Harris b 1812 d 1865 she was the second wife of Thomas Harris. Eliza's maiden name is Stephens and she married Thomas on the 5th March 1851 in Clodock. The child Charles Harris I believe is illegitimate as Eliza's husband died 6 years earlier. According to the 1851 census Eliza and Thomas were living at Llanrosser, Michaelchurch. In the 1861 census they were living at Tanenfarrow, St. Margaret's. Thomas and Eliza had five children; John b 1856, William b 1860, Hannah b 1861, James b 1863 and Fanny b 1865.

George Harris b 1843 d 1921 was the second born of Thomas Harris and his first wife Elizabeth Whistance b 1807 d 1850. Their first born son was my direct ancestor also named Thomas b 1840 d 1905, they had another son, John who died aged 6 months.

In 1851 and 1861 George and Thomas were living with relatives. Thomas, with his mother's sister at Upper House Farm, Craswall and George with his uncle Walter Harris in Llanellen. By 1861 George was living with his relative John Whistance at Court Farm, Michaelchurch.

George married Emily Phillips in 1866  and had three sons; William, Thomas and George.
By 1871 George was living at White Cottage, Michaelchurch. His brother Thomas was living in Cwmbran.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 June 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Looking for a Harris of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire amd Wales to have a migration pattern to the Americas in 1700 - 1880. You may also have a connection to the family names of Cecil, Gilbert, Webb, Parry, Hyatt, Howells and Ward thru paper tail or DNA.

cheers
Jack Gee.
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.