Author Topic: Butler family from Swaffen Bulbeck  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Butler family from Swaffen Bulbeck
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ReadyDale, that's wonderful.

The death you have for James isn't their James because he is my friends direct ancestor and died in old age. There is no Jeremiah with the family on the 1841 census so perhaps he died.

PS just realised, as David pointed out several posts back, that I've been thinking it was Swaffen, not Swaffham. I'm not familiar with the area at all and that was careless of me.....sorry everyone.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Back again!

As expected, Matilda was bapt 1839

There is a marriage of John Butler and Jemima Smith (sorry!) in Swaffham Bulbeck 16th Oct 1825 which looks good. Witnesses were Susan Miller and Lucy Manning.

Jeramiah has me confused!!!
No burial for Jeramiah, so I looked him up and in 1841 there is a Jeramiah living with a Rebecca Butler. Obviously no family relationship shiown.
Forward to 1851 and the same Jeramiah is with a Rebecca. But they are with a George Butler (age 21) and his family. Rebecca (54) is George's mother, whilst Jeramiah (15) is shown as George's brother (so also Rebecca's son????).
Interestingly, Jeramiah (s.of John and Jemima) is baptised on the same day of 1836 as John (s.of Samuel and Rebeccah). maybe there is some confusion there!

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm, see what you mean. He was easy to track through each of the censuses and there seems no doubt he's the son of Rebecca and George is his brother. I checked all of the censuses and on the 1911 he is living with George again.....both widowers.

Although there is a nice gap in the births of all of the Butler children which Jeremiah fitted snugly into, it looks more as though the Parish Records are wrong, or the transcription is.

Think I'll be safer to delete him from the family  :)

Thanks so much for your help.
Best wishes HL

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:20 GMT (UK) »
No problem.

There are quite a few Butler's in Swaffham Bulbeck (and the adjacent Swaffham Prior), but I suppose it's quite a common name.
If you need anything else looked up, give me a shout.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm, see what you mean. He was easy to track through each of the censuses and there seems no doubt he's the son of Rebecca and George is his brother. I checked all of the censuses and on the 1911 he is living with George again.....both widowers.

Although there is a nice gap in the births of all of the Butler children which Jeremiah fitted snugly into, it looks more as though the Parish Records are wrong, or the transcription is.

Think I'll be safer to delete him from the family  :)

Thanks so much for your help.
Unfortunately, there is a burial for a John Butler, age 2 in 1838. This may be the same John that was baptised on the same day as Jeramiah. If so, we might never know whether he was indeed son of Samuel and Rebecca (as per the baptism register), or whether he was in fact the baby that fitted nicely in to the gap of baptisms of John and Jemima that Jeramiah seemed to be (and the baptism register being muddled).Oh well!!

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 November 13 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ReadyDale,

Since they were baptised on the same day it's tempting to say that the priest twisted the parents around.....very very tempting.

Jeremiah is an "alien" name in the family, whereas John.....very tempting.

After all there is about a 5 year "John shaped" gap  :)

Never mind, we will never know, since the parents had unfortunately died by 1911 and so didn't state on the census how many children they had  :)

Thanks again for your help.
Best wishes HL