Author Topic: Captain James Greenwood - need help  (Read 10625 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain James Greenwood - need help
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 09:16 GMT (UK) »
So glad the others have been able to help you Sally.  My forte is not generally sea related stuff so its been interesting for me to see too :)
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
To my Knowledgeable advisers and interested follows.

Most impressed with Newfoundland Maritime archive office, and have asked them to go ahead based on the following message received from them last night -

" I have retrieved the crew agreement and log book dated 21/8/28 - 2/10/28, as well as 2 prior crew agreements. James Greenwood is the Master of the 3 voyages and details of his death are provided in the crew agreement/log book dated 21/8/28. His previous vessel for 1927 is the same vessel.

Rather than tracing Capt. Greenwood's career through the crew agreements, it would likely be much cheaper to search for him on the Lloyd's Captains Registers. I have checked the index and he is listed."

So, they will now be scanning and sending the relevant crew agreements/log books together with the Lloyd's Captains Registers search.

It looks as though I can then post these scanned documents as an attachment to you. Is this permissible? Or would this be in breach of copy right?

Sally

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi sally, not sure re copyright issue, but that's certainly good news and a great result for you.
Frank.  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank, yes it is a great result I 'm really delighted. It all should make fascinating reading and will give me the lead to my further research.

You took my link, got it started and gave me direction for which I am most grateful.

Sally

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Good news indeed. MHA must have more up to date information regarding Lloyd's Captains Register than whats available on line..
I don't know if they will send a copy of his entry or the reference number. LCR are now stored at London Metropolitan Archives, Not Guildhall Library.
There are copies at Kew on Microfilm but the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Not sure about the copyright issues but if you could give us a certificate number that would be fine.
LCR, will only record details after he passed his mates certificate any service before that as a seaman would not be recorded. Assuming of course he had such service. LCR are sometimes incomplete so to make certain, the Certificate of competency and service needs to be consulted. Lets see what you come back with.
regards
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 November 13 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seaweed and my other experts. Great result- I have my Granfather's Lloyd's Captains Register details. For some unknown reason I cannot forward the file. Absolutely no idea why, however rather than playing around and in the process getting more and more frustrated, I will type it out. So here we are -

No.of Certifcate 003135                                             James Greenwood
Special Qualifications: Steamships                               Born Goole 1875  Passed Hull 1907

Vessel                           Date of Appointment, Re-appointments and class of Voyage
Official No.

Riplingham                    14.5.08 M
 10422 (mate)
Rose (s)
90914                          -10.12 B
Maude Larssen(s)          26.2.15 FPS
128886                        25.5.15
(late Wilhelm Behrens)   14.6.15

Eric Calvert(s)               26.6.15B
95295                           1.2.16M
                                   1.7.16 For

28.8.16 For
Otis Tetrax (s)               -8.18 For

Sunk(war loss)            Aug 22.18
Aug 24.18

Eric Calvert (s)            29.10.19 M
109231                      20.12.19
                                 3.3.20 For

Alfred Calvert(s)          12.7.20 B
                                 24.9.20US

S.E.Calvert(s)              16.9.21M
120926                       24.11.21
                                   9.2.22SA
                                 27.6.22 For
                                 25.7.22 US

Alfred Calvert(s)         1.9.23Ct.
 114653                    4.9.23   

S.E.Calvert(s)            27.9.23Ct.
120926                      8.3.24

Broomfleet(s)            2.5.25 FPS

Faxfleet(s)               20.11.26 For

Broomfleet              8.4.27FPS
136080                   6.8.27B

Master dead           11.9 28

Also have the log book entries- most interesting time of death. However I think the above is most relevant.

Sally

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 November 13 15:23 GMT (UK) »
For your interest go to gooleships.co.uk , click on private owners, then click on Calvert.
Have found pictures and a little history on Eric Calvert,S E Calvert, Alfred Calvert and Maude Larssen. All so interesting.

Refering back to the Lloyd's Captain's registry -  what do the capital letters stand for after the date? I thought it was country for which the ship was bound ie: US  however by looking at the photo of S.E.Calvert i would not have thought it was large enough to go transatlantic?

Sally

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 November 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Also found Broomfleet and Faxleet on same site.

Sally

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 November 13 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Well, you live and learn. I was not aware the MUN had details from Lloyd's Captains Register! Interesting.
Regarding "what do the capital letters stand for after the date? I thought it was country for which the ship was bound IE: US  however by looking at the photo of S.E.Calvert i would not have thought it was large enough to go transatlantic?" You would be surprised.
For details of the abbreviations.See.
http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capreg.htm

One thing that has always bothered me was why he did not have a WW1 medal record card. Maybe it got lost or destroyed.
I note he was on board the steamer OTIS TETRAX when she was sunk
http://www.uboat.net/wwi/ships_hit/4614.html
You will note that the sinking was not attributed to any U-Boat. I will contact a WW1 U-Boat expert to see if he has anything.
JGs Certificate and service details should be at Kew in the following reference.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C3097956

It is worth checking  out to see if there are any omissions or mistakes  in LCR.
 I note that the recorded Official number of RIPLINGHAM in LCR is incorrect. It should read
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages.php?regtype=MNL&year=1910&name=RIPLINGHAM&page=430&imagesource=CLIP�images
You would need to look at the relevent Crew Agreement to ascertain if he had previous MN service prior to being awarded his Mates Certificate. I believe that copy's of the original certificate are at Ancestry.com
The 1908 Crew Agreements are here
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=104221

I also note there was a four year gap between RIPLINGHAM and ROSE it may be worth checking out the 1912 crew agreements of ROSE.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022