Author Topic: SPAIN: Elusive Spanish Grandmother  (Read 2316 times)

Offline jumia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SPAIN: Elusive Spanish Grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have absolutely no idea where she died, I presumed it was in Bromley where she lived with her granddaughter.

Thanks very much for all your help and input, I will try to follow up through links and hope to get a break sometime

Many Thanks

Jumia

Paul E

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jumia

Could you post the full details from the marriage cert - including Edward's occupation?

Sorry Jumia - just realise you already gave us this!

Have you found him on earlier censuses?

Do you think Edward's marriage was to a Spanish woman, or could it have been an English woman and they just happened to be in Spain when Dorothy was born?

There should be birth records for foreign born Brits somewhere.

cheers

Paul

Offline jumia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul
You have made me stop and think, I'm not sure now whether they were both English or English/Spanish.  I had been told that my grandmother could speak very little English and at times was unable to make herself understood. But of course this is no indication that her parents were Spanish or English born.  I have been on the sites where there were English births abroad but have had no luck as yet.  I will keep looking on these sites I think, just in case.
Many Thanks
Jumia

Offline ger_g

• RootsChat Member
  • S-Bend surfer... righteous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jumia

I just came across this post - I live in Spain (Canary Islands) and I speak a little Spanish. I would be more than happy to help with the language if the need arises!

Happy hunting

Ger :)
EVANS, SMART, PREECE, PARTRIDGE, SYKES  (Ross-on-Wye and surrounds Herefordshire ENGLAND)
LEWIS (Llangarren Herefordshire ENGLAND)
ROBERTS (St Maughans Monmouth and Llangarron Herefs)
POWELL (Monmouth and Herefordshire)
WATKINS, JENKINS (Hentland Herefordshire)
HAMILTON, McCUTCHEN (Urney Strabane Co. Tyrone IRELAND)
McLAUGHLIN (Manorcunningham Co. Donegal IRELAND)
http://evansinherefordshire.com
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jumia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 September 05 16:43 BST (UK) »
 :)
Ger
Thank you so much, I will be in touch as soon as I can work out how to go about things.  Do you know where, or can you can access the Spanish births, deaths and marriages archives?  I still haven't managed to find any trace of my Grandmother in any records in the UK apart from her marriage cert and her death cert!
Regards
Julia

Offline ger_g

• RootsChat Member
  • S-Bend surfer... righteous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 September 05 21:15 BST (UK) »
No problem at all jumia - as Arranroots said there are a few people on Rootschat who could do a bit of translation for you.

Not sure about where to find Spanish records... there is an LDS in my town though so if you find that there are records I can go there for you. The LDS does list Spain as a searchable country; can't see any Huggetts there though. According to the Ancestry link, if you find a name you are sorted! "The best records in the world" !!

Good luck finding a starting point - at first glance there's a lot available if you  have an idea where to look.

CHeers hon

Ger

PS I have two John Evanses - I feel your pain lol!

PPS this may be a complete red herring but the name 'Huggett' *could* be an anglicised version of 'juguete' which means 'toy' but I don't think it exists as a surname. There are also surnames 'Jaque' and 'Jaquet' which sound a lot like 'Hugget'. I'll keep me eyes open :)

PPPS the national archives for Spain is at http://www.mcu.es/archivos/index.jsp
EVANS, SMART, PREECE, PARTRIDGE, SYKES  (Ross-on-Wye and surrounds Herefordshire ENGLAND)
LEWIS (Llangarren Herefordshire ENGLAND)
ROBERTS (St Maughans Monmouth and Llangarron Herefs)
POWELL (Monmouth and Herefordshire)
WATKINS, JENKINS (Hentland Herefordshire)
HAMILTON, McCUTCHEN (Urney Strabane Co. Tyrone IRELAND)
McLAUGHLIN (Manorcunningham Co. Donegal IRELAND)
http://evansinherefordshire.com
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk