Author Topic: Questionaire Dated 3rd July 1822 [Answered by William Bos-A Gipsy]  (Read 923 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Questionaire Dated 3rd July 1822 [Answered by William Bos-A Gipsy]
« on: Friday 08 November 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
1.That they bury always in consecrated ground.several of his family lie at Rounds [Rawnds] Church Northamptonshire.If any place is desired by the dying,they convey the corpse to it.
2.They mostly have their children christened and get a certificate of it.Many however do not so.
3.We have no Gipsy prayers:we say the Lords Prayer and Belief.There are records belonging to certain families but not to all.
4.I have no notion whence we came;nor what number we are now in England;nor how many gangs we have.I never heard of Faw's gang,Borthwick gang etc
5.We travel in Norfolk and Suffolk but are not limited.Sometimes we go farther but do best where we are known.In winter we lodge in Yarmouth or Norwich.
6.We sometimes meet together with those we know for drinking,feasting,dancing and music.I do not know how numerous we are in Norfolk.
7.Children are of the same trades as their parents mostly.The Woman wash,mend,beg old clothes and tell fortunes.
8.We come our rounds to certain places regularly.
9.We camp in the same places as others and do not who has preceded us.
10.All Gipsies use the same language and my Father is one of the few who can write.Our society has no regular laws,nor king
11.My family marries at Church by licence but not one couple in 50 is so married.Very few can read.Most of us 'house' in the winter.
12.I could not be happy if any of my children were taken from me;so they are not taught.We have many forms of Patran to show the way to stragglers.

[From a Questionaire given to Gipsies in Norfolk by Rev.T.W.Norwood]
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.