Author Topic: Advice on seeking a 18th century will.  (Read 2960 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Advice on seeking a 18th century will.
« on: Friday 08 November 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, while researching my Denby line I have come across information regarding  wills of several of the male members on a internet page, the information was about 11 years old and was on someones genealogy page ( I know what you're thinking, take it with a pinch of salt.)
The page had all the correct information regarding names, birth dates, deaths etc and seems to be correct and matches the facts which I have.
The will I would like to find is for:
Robert Denby b Oct 1712 Snaith, Yorkshire
                    d Sept 14.1797 Snaith, Yorkshire
The will is dated 14-7-1794, Robert was a Butcher in Snaith Yorkshire,
Where would I begin to look for the will, indeed would it still be out there somewhere?, there is also mention of wills for his father Robert, died 1729, his Grandfather Robert, died 1703 and his Great Grandfather who died in 1678, all in Snaith Yorkshire.
Any advice would as always be greatly appreciated.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on seeking a 18th century will.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 November 13 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Borthwick Institute for Archives holds the vast majority of probate records for Yorkshire before January 1858.
http://www.york.ac.uk/library/borthwick/research-support/probate-courts/#YorkshirePre1858

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on seeking a 18th century will.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 November 13 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Stan, Thank you for the link, I will have a read, :)
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands