Author Topic: Eleanor Alder Charleton  (Read 1711 times)

Offline DianeC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eleanor Alder Charleton
« on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I've hit a wall with this lady, who died in 1805, was married to George Charleton in 1790, in Gateshead and whose father was William Alder (or maybe Thomas). Her memorial plaque is in St Oswald's church, Durham. There seems to be a connection with Hornecliffe House or Hall in Northumberland. George Charleton was described as a 'merchant adventurer'. Apparently these people made their fortune with a trading ship and then built a grand house with the profits. I have seen their wedding date in an index but have no access to the original entry.
In hope......
Diane

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor Alder Charleton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hornecliffe House is a grade 2 listed building, built for William Alder c.1800. You can google it for information.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianeC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I knew that, Jennifer. I have the English Heritage printout. I should have said so. I'm sorry. That version was built in 1800 and that William is a bit young but his father could be the uncle of my Eleanor. We begin to think that she lied about her age on her marriage.......
D

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 November 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The 1790 marriage is here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NLC1-RBQ 
There is  a marriage notice in the Newcastle Couriant Sat 16 th Dec 1797 however..

Married
"On the 12th ins at Northam Church, Samuel Barker Edmeston Esq, Captain in the 95th Regiment of Foot, to Miss Eleanor Alder, daughter of William Alder Esq. of Horncliff House near Berwick upon Tweed".

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline DianeC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 November 13 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that,Cathy, but although the year is correct, the groom isn't! Mine is George Charleton and the date  July 8th 1790. Confusing. Maybe they were cousins. I'd already printed out the Familysearch entry and the index entry came from Genuki Gateshead marriages. She's a mystery lady.
Diane

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 November 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,
Newcastle Courant Sat 10th July 1790
Married
"Thursday at Gateshead, Mr George Charlton, Merchant to miss Alder sister of William Alder Esq, of Horncliffe near Berwick on Tweed"

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
This is a rather old thread but I have just found a possible connection to my tree and wonder if Diana C is around and has she got any further with the family research.
Our connection is still only a faint hope but stems from a clause in the will of Samuel Barker Edmeston. My husband's greatgreat grandfather married the daughter of Jessie Edmeston and James Logan from Berwick upon Tweed. We have spent well over 20 years looking for Jessie and now find that Samuel Barker Edmeston had an illegitimate daughter named Jean in 1814 who could well be our missing Jessie. We think James Loganwas born about 1813 in Berwick upon Tweed so the dates for little jean are good and I believe Jess or Jessie is a common pet name for Jean.
Has anyone else seen a different possible lady for my Jessie? She is not the Jane Edmeston who was christened in Golden Square born 1813 baptised 1814 to Alexander and Margaret she went with her parents and siblings to Canada six years before ours had a daughter in Berwick Nor is she the Jane Logan that died in Berwick in 1840 she was the wife of John Logan a mariner.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline DianeC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 October 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
I was looking into her for a local church archivist as they had her memorial but knew nothing about her. Oddly, the marriage record that I needed was privately-owned and they wanted payment for the info! In the meantime, Durham Diocesan records are being transcribed and I'm waiting for the appropriate record to be released, It feels unlikely that Eleanor is your Jessie but if anything interesting turns up I will be back in touch.
Best wishes, Diane

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 October 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
I know Eleanor is not Jessie. She is Jessie's half sister by Janet Baikie. In his will Samuel Barker Edmeston mentions two illegitimate children one being a Jean by a Jean Hathaway I think this Jean is my Jessie. Have you seen the Will? its on Ancestry its not the easiest to transcribe but slowly we are managing to sort it out . So far he has mentioned the three children by his first wife and these two "natural" children. If you PM me your e mail I'll send you our transcript when its finished.
Did you know SBE had property in Ireland and New York in fact there is an Edmeston  township in new York. The money to care for Jean was to come out of his Irish estate.
SBE is fascinating to research I hep this jean really is Jessie it would be great to have a real character on the tree.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.