Author Topic: Pitts family from Berkshire  (Read 4739 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pitts family from Berkshire
« on: Saturday 09 November 13 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My research shows a connection between my family in London in the late 1600s/ early 1700s and the Pitts family in Berkshire.

Cross links between will and apprenticeship records show two brothers, John (my 8x great-grandfather) and Bartholomew Pitts, as the sons of another John Pitts.

I cannot find a birth record for John, but I believe that this is the record for Bartholomew:

14 Jan 1687
baptism/christening place:STEVENTON,BERKSHIRE,ENGLAND
father's name:John Pitts
mother's name:Joane

John was apprenticed in 1700 and at that time his father was said to have been 'John Pitts late citizen and joiner of London'

Bartholomew's record, the same year, states 'John Pitts Joyner of Havington in the county of Berks'.

In John jnr's will ,he refers to his mother as 'Jone' or it could be 'Jane' Low which suggests that she had re-married after his father's death - again I don't know if this was in London or Berkshire, but I cannot find any obvious record.

John jnr remained in London, where he worked as a painter-stainer. Bartholomew, however, returned to Berkshire after completing his apprenticeship as a founder. Records show him in various places, and finally in Henley on Thames. (Another John Pitts appears 'John Pitts son of Bartholomew Pitts Citizen and Founder who was bound to Thomas Woodward
Citizen and Carpenter' and so he obviously followed his grandfather's trade)

I would be interested in any information concerning the Pitts family, but especially in locating the birth of the John Pitts who would have been born c1686, and in the re-marriage of Jone/ Jane/ Joanne Pitts to Mr Low. Finding the marriage of John Pitts and Jane/ Jone/ Joanne (John and Bartholomew's parents) would clearly be helpful as would finding the birth of the elder John Pitts (did he come from Steventon?)

Thanks,
Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pitts family from Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 November 13 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Not much to offer you, but there is another son; Thomas Pitts baptised 15-11-1677 s/o John & Joan
also in Steventon, Berks.

If you didn't know it,  Bartholomew was buried 7-4-1759 no other info listed.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that; very helpful.

Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline Havana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 21 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I don't think I can give you the exact information you want, but I can tell you a little about the Berkshire Pitts, as I come from that family.

The John Pitts I'm connected was born 1719, from a Bernard Pitts. You'll find there are a lot of Johns, Thomas's, and Bernards in this family!

Depending on the line you connect to, some Pitts ended up Loughborough way, others connect to Northampton. We had a lot of reverends and come from a heavily religious family.

Some Pitts married in the Thursby and Vale families, which tie back to Mary Tudor. The Pitts family seem to have be relatively comfortable financially, and well educated. Some with an MBE, one apparently influenced medical healthcare today in regards to to some of his procedures.

My research dies off with my Johns father Bernard. That may be a link you want to check, and obviously my research may not be 100%, but, Bernard Pitts was born 01/06/1686 and died 27/05/1751. He married Margery Pitts. His father was Bernard and mother was Mary - though their dates are hard to find.

Hope some of this helps and good luck!