Author Topic: William Candide LETICQ born 1835 Canada, Died 1868 Melbourne, Australia  (Read 3433 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: William Candide LETICQ born 1835 Canada, Died 1868 Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 November 13 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dinnys:

I also looked at the 1861 Canada census - only searched Canada East (Quebec) province and just typed Letie* into the surname box. Of the 8 results that come up some are clearly the Letiecq name. You have to check the actual images because some of the transcriptions are incorrectly spelled Letieg and Leties.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wtz/

I didn't find Candid/William Candide, so if he was the entry seen on the 1851 Census he may have already left Canada by 1861. Remember when looking for him that William is the anglicized name for Guillaume.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 01:37 GMT (UK) »
On the off chance that the name William was added later in life I have found the following baptism in the Drouin Collection .... from the French

Candide Letiecq
Born and baptized 03 Jun 1834 at Betancour Quebec
Father Joseph Sebastien Letiecq, a Farmer
Mother Marie Pelagee Hebert
Godfather Nazaire Theophile Letiecq
Godmother Adelaide Bourbeau Verville

I too think your next move should be to obtain William's marriage and/or death certs with the hope there will be be parents on one or the other. There does not otherwise appear to be any way to connect a Canadian Candide to your Australian one. Candide appears to be a relatively uncommon name in Quebec.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Dinnys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 November 13 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that name variation Sami and Polar Bear, I have come across Joseph Sebastian on a mundia site, but there was no connection with a candide, however you have come across this so Maybe there is.
I am about to invest a few bucks on Vic BDM's so I can view the detail of persons in the index, and make a purchase,  Fingers Crossed I can find a marriage or death for him.

Keep you posted..
TYSON,HERRING,MAGILL,POTTER,BROMFIELD,FITZPATRICK,LEWIS,O'BRIEN,LETIECQ/LETICQ,WILLIAMS,CAIN,DWYER,BARNES.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 November 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

Just noticed that I made a wee typo in my other post and it is now too late to amend it. The location of the baptism should be Becancour instead of Betancour.

Gotta love those online family trees. I was  looking on A****try at 2 trees with J Sebastien Letiecq and M Pelagie Hebert as parents and the tree owners have this couple having their first child in 1820 and them still having children in 1908. One should be cautious about taking online tree info as correct and check the info in online trees themselves by looking at original sources.

You might check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition. This would give you access to the Canadian records, including the Drouin Collection with images of the parish records found therein.

Also, if you are near a Family History Center (the familysearch.org folks), they may also have it available as well.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Dinnys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 November 13 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Ok, So I have spent some time and $$ going through Victorian BDM's.

These variations in the Leticq/Letiecq/Letieq/Letique/leticque are certainly giving me brain strain!

I could not find any Marriage for William/William candid. I tried looking under his spouses name but hers too is confusing and I couldn't find anything for her either.

I now have my great grandmothers marriage certificate and it lists Her parents as Candid Leticq -Labourer & Emma Brush (looks like Brush) with no other information. I have come across Emma listed as Brushe/Bruche on other online trees.

I then found a death index for a Condede Leticg in 1868 so I got a copy of that and all it states is Condede Leticq, a carpenter, 33 years, died Melbourne Hospital 1868 parents unknown.

Im thinking this could be his death, it appears others whom have listed him on line are using this as his death.  I see what you mean Polar bear about trees already online, unless you have an accurate paper trail people tap into any tree really. 

Now I still have not located a marriage or immigration records for him. 

Thanks again everyone, I will figure this guy out eventually, the story I have is that My great grandmother was French, when people see her picture they tell me she looks like an Indian. Im dying to know who they really are.
Dinny
TYSON,HERRING,MAGILL,POTTER,BROMFIELD,FITZPATRICK,LEWIS,O'BRIEN,LETIECQ/LETICQ,WILLIAMS,CAIN,DWYER,BARNES.

Offline roblindsey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 May 16 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Dinny,
I know that this is years late, but I'm a great-great-great grandson of Candide, and I can expand quite a bit on his later life, even though there are still some frustrating gaps. If I find you're still on here, I'll be happy to share whatever I have with you!

- Robert

Offline Tricia M

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hello
I’m also from the Leticq line.
Candide Theopile Leticq from Trio Rivers in Canada.
Married Emma Brush/Brusche in 1856 in Melbourne.
Candide arrived in Australia in 1854 on board The Golden Era.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 15:19 BST (UK) »
No jorose, I have no documentation of their marriage yet.  I found my great grandmother on Mundia, linked to a William Candide Leticq (varied spellings). But no detail of his parents. I have spent so much money on certificates thus far, the last I need on a couple of people is on ancestry I think, I just don't have the cash to sign up, I joined years ago to see if I could link up but there were no records then, but now so many are researching so much more info is available.

Guillaume is the French form of William.  Have you looked with that first name?

Offline Ando1928

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 April 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
Candid Leticq shared a cabin with Lude, Moses and Onsime (Louis) Dureau on the”Golden Era” which left Liverpool on 16/3:1854 and arrived on 11/7/1854. Moses and Lude went to the Bendigo goldfields and set up families there.
Apparently Candid Leticq was a cousin of the Dureaus. His family lived in Bonnie Doon, where Moses and his friend James Shaw lived later in life.