Author Topic: Watts family from Bottisham  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Watts family from Bottisham
« on: Monday 11 November 13 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Please would it be possible for someone with access to the Parish Records to confirm this family for me?

I have a John Watts marrying an Elizabeth Todd on 12th Feb 1815.
Then I believe their children may be:-
Sarah              1815
James             1817
Harriett           1822
John                1822
David               1826
John                1831
Phoebe Grange 1833
Alfred              1836

I know that John, born 1831, is the son of John and Elizabeth and I believe he maybe wasn't baptised until 1837, although he was born in 1831. I'm confused by the "other" John, born 1822. Is there a burial record for him  between 1822-1831? Is he Harriet's twin? Or does he belong to another couple.
I also am confused by the only child who has a middle name. I wonder where the Grange came from.

If anyone has the parish records I would appreciate any input. :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Watts family from Bottisham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 November 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
You can check Cambs baptisms and burials 1801-37 at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/searchsd.cfm  Whilst you just get the year of baptism, not the exact date, you get the parents and age if shown
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 November 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks bedfordshire boy.  :)

That's a wonderful site and a great help. Cambridgeshire research is a new area for me and I was at a lose where to find the records.....the site is on my favourites now  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandad Harry Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 February 14 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have the Watts family in my tree, Alfred Watts married Mary Unwin in 1846 at Bottisam, Mary is the daughter of Joseph Turner Unwin, Mary was born in Fen Ditton Cambs. She is GGG Aunt. I seem to have different dates for the children of John and Elizabeth. Im not sure how far you have got but if you need help I have got to 1673. I am trying to find where George Watts born 1673 was born.
Sheila
JACKSON OF SUFFOLK, REYNOLDS OF CAMBRIDGE, PILCHER OF KENT, GOSTICK OF BEDFORDSHIRE AND LINCS, UNWIN OF ESSEX AND CAMBRIDGE, PRIME OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WARD OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WOLFE OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 February 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

I'm busy doing a tree for a friend and am working on a folder which contains her tree chart and individual pages with information on each branch of each generation.

John and Elizabeth Watts are her 4x great grandparents and I was trying to sort their children out. Their son, John Watts, born 1831 is her 3x great grandfather and so I was confused to discover another John born in 1822.

I still haven't progressed any further with them. There are many online trees with this family on but they haven't really helped me untangle this "extra" John.

I'm not planning on going back any more generations for her but would have liked to get this generation correct. That is great that you have gone back so far though.  :)

Do you have all the children I have?  How far out are the dates I've given?

Best wishes HL

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 March 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
You can check Cambs baptisms and burials 1801-37 at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/searchsd.cfm  Whilst you just get the year of baptism, not the exact date, you get the parents and age if shown

Don't know what planet I was on when I checked out this link for the first time Bedfordshire Boy but have just used it again and found the baptism for John Watts 1821 :)

It certainly is a very good resource, so thank you for that.
Best wishes HL

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have taken a while but this is what I have
Sarah Watts 1815
James Watts 1817-d 1875 Waterbeach Cambs. married Ester Eliza Sarah Eaton 1836 Bottisham
Harriet Watts 1818 married Richard Gawthrop
John Watts 1822
Pheobe Grange Watts. 1825
David Watts 1826 d 1884 married lydia Harvey 1848 Bottisham
John Watts 1830 d 1903 married Hannah Shipp 1849 Bottisham
Alfred Watts 1832 d 1886 Bottisham married Mary Unwin 1846
Hope this helps
Sheila

JACKSON OF SUFFOLK, REYNOLDS OF CAMBRIDGE, PILCHER OF KENT, GOSTICK OF BEDFORDSHIRE AND LINCS, UNWIN OF ESSEX AND CAMBRIDGE, PRIME OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WARD OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WOLFE OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sheila. I finally untangled them last night and agree with you on their birth years.

The marriage details are useful as I didn't have them. Apart from John and Hannah Shipp that is. I still can't find a death for the first John though.

The middle name of Grange (Pheobe Grange Watts) is so odd. I haven't come across that as a name before and I notice that there are some Grange Watts in other branches so I do wonder where it comes from. Unless it is a regular Christian name that I just haven't encountered before.
Best wishes HL

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 March 14 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello HL sorry it has taken me a while but I don't seem to be able to find your email address that you sent me.