Author Topic: Request: Birth William LEADER 1804  (Read 8150 times)

Offline De Tails

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Request: Birth William LEADER 1804
« on: Tuesday 12 November 13 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all -

I would be grateful for any help in establishing William Leader's date and place of birth. His Canadian family's records say "Suffolk" and "1804" (wife Jane Aldrich b. 1812, Suffolk).

I can place them in the 1861 Census of Canada West with matching birth dates. Ref: Canada West (Ontario), Wellington, Guelph, pg 5, Line 25, Microfilm: C-1083, #2059785. (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1861/Pages/item.aspx?itemid=2059785) (c) Library and Archives Canada

It appears (and is commonly cited on FTs) that he and his family come from Yaxley. The 1851 Census (as noted in previous thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=666391.msg5116902#msg5116902) has them in living in Yaxley and born there. The only thing is this gives an 1808/9 birth date.   ???

Unfortunately, the best birth records I can find mean he was born in Norfolk - this may just mean that he spent more time in Suffolk so called that home!

Marriage looks good for:

William Leader to Jane Aldrige 5 Jan 1831 Yaxley, Suffolk; M13247-1; England-ODM; 989589 (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N21S-6QG)

and

William Leader to Jane Aldrige 1831 Yaxley, Bts, Suffolk; M13247-1; England-VR; 989589; 2:3DXDDW4 (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJK4-CYB)

I think it is the William born in Brandon in 1808 in the 1841 Census at Thingoe, Ixworth, Pakenham, Suffolk but haven't sighted the original so don't know if family with him. (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M73D-2SY)

So, looking for birth dates - the following all from FreeReg:

SUFFOLK:
LEADER, William 13 Jun 1808 Brandon Suffolk; parents Thomas and Mary Leader; Church: St Peter File # 2980

(Best guess on his parents: LEADER, Thomas btp 1 Apr 1750 Horrigner Suffolk; parents: Stephen and Mary Leader)

NORFOLK
Better dates:

LEADER William: b 21 Oct 1804 bpt 30 Oct 1804 Thursford; parents: Benjamin and Martha Leader; Church: St Andrew At [sic] File# 2409 (NB these two are also listed under Leeder, same info except year is 1803 and File# 2411)

LEADER William: bpt 26 Jan 1804 Wighton; parents: John and Elizabeth Leader; Church: All Saints (Father Occupation: All Saints!) File# 9518  (Family Search has same with I02507-0, England-EASy; 1526885; Item 8 pg 49 (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXRR-SFC)

OTHER

William's Contemporaries (from looking at their children's baptism dates):

- Jabez and Elizabeth Leader in Brandon
- Robert and Frances (Gobbett/Gobbitt) Leader in Mendham

Slightly older:
Robert and Hannah Leader in Rattlesden

What do you think?

8)
De
Leader/Leeder, Aldrich/Aldrige/Aldridge, French, Gurney, Horwood, Scott, Splan, Weston

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Birth William LEADER 1804
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census for Bridge St, Pakenham, Suffolk has a William Leader, 35, ag lab with wife Amelia, 30 both born in county - ref HO107 piece 1036 folio 12 page 16.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately online records for Suffolk are sparce with many parishes not being available & I think you can probably discount Brandon & Thursford.  This looks like a more likely as parents of your chap:

A Robert LEEDER married Hannah KEELY 30 Jan 1787 Yaxley
Hannah LEEDER was buried 26 Dec 1788 Yaxley.

Robert LEEDER (widower) married Margaret MOY 3 Nov 1789 Yaxley.

I have found the following burials in Yaxley - all children of Robert
John LEEDER son of Robert & Hannah buried 3 Mar 1789
William LEEDER son of Robert & Margaret 24 Jun 1796
Mary LEEDER daug of Robert & Margaret 13 Mar 1798
Susanna LEADER age 15 daug of Robert & Margaret 1 Jan 1817
Henry LEADER age 14 son of Robert & Margaret 31 May 1823

Also
Robert LEADER buried 10 Mar 1846 age 80  Yaxley
Margaret LEADER buried 21 Mar 1847 age 77 Yaxley

Unfortunately I cannot help with bpts but Robert & Margaret were certainly bpt children in Yaxley around the time of William's birth & they had already buried one son with the name William.  Some of their children do come up on familysearch.org

Suffolk Marriage Index concurs with what you have found
William LEEDER married Jane ALDRIDGE 5 Jan 1831 Yaxley.

Leeder/Leader can be found in neighbouring parishes of Thrandeston/Yaxley/Wortham etc

K

ps.  If it is your William & his family in Yaxley 1851 (as per KGarrard's post - transcribed as Luder) the the use of the names Robert & Henry for his children are probably a good clue.

Offline De Tails

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh, fabulous!  Thank you both so much.  :)

Keziah2 - I really appreciate the detail as it fits with what I had found, but had put to one side because of spelling [from familysearch]:

- Suzannah Leeder b Yaxley 31 Mar 1832 to William and Jane Leeder; C13253-1, England-ODM; 989595
- Jane Leeder b Yaxley 31 Mar 1834 - do - C01369-2, England-EASy; 989595, p 34 #267

We don't have Suzannah as a known child, but Jane certainly is, though without a date, so it sounds very promising that the Leeder spelling is actually the original - or is that presuming too far?  ;D

Best -
De

PS I am a bit overwhelmed with the number of Leaders (and Leeders) in Suffolk and Norfolk, having grown up with it as a fairly rare name, especially after we moved to NZ!

PPS Robert, William, Henry (as Harry), and Thomas remained family names, though it seems like half of the men in England were named William and half Thomas, and the third half Henry, and the rest George - sure gets confusing!  ;)
Leader/Leeder, Aldrich/Aldrige/Aldridge, French, Gurney, Horwood, Scott, Splan, Weston

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi De

What you have to remember with names is that in those days very few people could read or write so when it came to recording their names the clergy etc recorded what they heard & believe you me that would not have been easy in Suffolk. Hence the changes in spelling as the clergy in the parish moved on & were replaced by someone who spelled the name slightly differently. So Leader/Leeder/Luder etc are all potentials one family in this area currently spells it Leader another spells it Leeder :) 

K

Offline De Tails

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi K

So, I take it that Suffolk has an, um, broad accent?  :D  (The only regional accent I'm in the least familiar with is the heavily-parodied Somerset accent... hoping I'm not treading on any toes!!)

I appreciate your comments as although I am an experienced researcher, I'm fairly new to the genealogical field, so traps for the unwary are nice to know about in advance.   :)

De

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Just a bit

Try this - haven't listened myself but Charlie Haylock is fairly popular on Suffolk families/dialects etc at the mo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/individual/suffolk-edwardstone-haylock-charlie.shtml

K

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 17:47 GMT (UK) »
This could be your next generation back again

Robert Leader Bpt 23 Nov 1766 Thrandeston,  parents Robert & Sarah

See familysearch.org (but beware the spellings Leadir/Leder etc)for more of their children.

Thrandeston parish is on NW boundary of Yaxley very close.

Robert LEEDER buried 13 Jan 1799 age 71 Thrandeston St Margaret
Sarah LEEDER (widow) buried 26 Apr 1807 age 77 Thrandeston St Margaret.

Prior to this there are lots of Leader burials in Brome, St Mary.  Again a neighbouring parish. 

K

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Have found a few baptisms on familysearch for children of Robert and Margaret:

William Leader bp.18/6/1796 Suffolk (no actual place given) - must be the one buried 24/6/1796 Yaxley.
Sarah Leeder bp.7/5/1799 Yaxley
Susan Leeder bp.30/8/1801 Yaxley - must be the one buried 1/1/1817 Yaxley
Henry Leader bp.17/9/1809 Yaxley - buried 31/5/1823 Yaxley

Doing a search in just Yaxley between 1789 and 1810 it looks to me like the original records might be in bit of a state as some entries have no surname or parents shown which could be why there is no obvious entry for William although he would slot in quite neatly between Susan and Henry shown above.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk