Author Topic: Unlikely to become an efficient soldier  (Read 7388 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unlikely to become an efficient soldier
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 November 13 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know about the left-handed thing meaning unlikely to become efficient soldier.  Woudl they test them? Was that a blanket no to all left handed people? Or would some be recruited to other duties?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daithi Mac An Airchinnigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 April 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
My great grand uncle was discharged after 10 days under this clause in January 1916. He was lived in Midlands Ireland, was a coachman and had applied to work as a groomsman. He like many other Irishmen that joined up,  was a home ruler, Irish nationalist but wanted to play his part.  This thread has thrown some light on the various reasons for discharge. I had thought that it might have been because of his nationalism....Maybe he just had flat feet :)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 April 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
This is interesting.  I found one who joined up in June 1913! Was discharged in February 1914, not likely to be an efficient soldier.  In March 1914 he left England for Australia and in November 1914 he  joined the Australian Army.  He served at Galipolli and the Western front and returned to Australia in mid 1919.  He also served in WW2 at home.  I don't know if he was left handed.  :o.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 April 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
I dont think that being left handed would have been such a detriment that the army would not want left handed recruits. Although [some?/all?] schools at the time had a policy of forcing pupils to write right handed, even tying the left hand behind the pupils back.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
I dont think that being left handed would have been such a detriment that the army would not want left handed recruits. Although [some?/all?] schools at the time had a policy of forcing pupils to write right handed, even tying the left hand behind the pupils back.

The left-handed issue is a red herring.  It might have been a factor in regiments where smartness and uniformity was prized (Guards regiments?), or where the ability to use right-handed equipment was essential, but not otherwise.

"unlikely to become an efficient soldier" would include (amomg others) issues such as:
mental incapacity (if unable to follow orders)
alcoholism
eyesight
heart or lung ailments (not unusual in the working class with poor nutrition and access to healthcare)
poor mobility (if unable to march!) - rickets, and other ailments caused by malnutrition were not unusual.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 April 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
I remember my Dad telling me about  some recruits who didn't have the coordination to be able to march and many others who didn't know left from right.

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 April 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Interesting posting.  I have had three forebears discharged from service on the "not likely to be an efficient soldier".  Two of these were for severe deafness.  Usually there is a disability sheet [if it has survived] explaining the doctor's assessment.  The third rejection happened to the husband of my great-grandmother's sister.  He was sent back from basic training and his medical sheet reported that he had a squint, flat feet but most serious of all, he had suffered from rheumatic fever when a child.  The outcome of that would be that he would not be able to run far without severe breathlessness, and probably was suffering some kind of valvular heart disease.  If ever a poor lad tried to do his duty.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 December 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
My apologies to all, I've only just come across the additional posts in my thread.  Thanks everyone, makes very interesting reading, and more pause for thought.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
A colleague boasted that after 5 years in the service her husband had ALMOST been promoted to Lance corporal, but in view of what she described as being passed over had left at the next opportunity. Why keep him in 5 years?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)