Author Topic: Reverse image - Done, thank you. Question about facial feature, please?  (Read 8071 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse image - Done, thank you. Question about facial feature, please?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Loriann, you should have said this was the possible sister...we sometimes get a first-time poster who plants a photo in someone else's thread because they don't understand how the site works :D

I'll ask a mod if they could merge the threads.

By golly there's a resemblance, isn't there. The lips are the same, the very pronounced philtrum (the little ridges between the lips and nose) and of course that odd eyebrow.

What part of Saint John did they live in? Were they there at the 1861 census? Any clues at PANB?

Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline lclayton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Matilda Stewart photograph dating
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you Jim, Carol, China and Lisa. China, Mary Matilda's maiden name was indeed Stewart (often spelled Stuart, depending on the document) as was Dora Emmeline's. Dora married William Mumford. One other research thread we were pursuing concerns Mary Matilda's daughter Annie Louise Clayton, b1879 in York County, Ontario. I believe that Lisa has confirmation that Dora had a sister named Elizabeth Stewart born in Lambton Mills, York, Ontario, Canada in 1859. Elizabeth Stewart married Walter S Craig (or Craik) September 30, 1880 in Toronto, York County, Ontario, and I believe Walter and Elizabeth Craig adopted Mary Matilda's daughter Annie Louise Clayton. In the 1891 Census of Canada, Annie is listed at the adopted daughter of Walter Craig, head of household. In the 1901 Census of Canada, Annie Clayton is listed as the niece of widowed head of household Elizabeth Craig. In the 1881 Census of Canada, Annie is listed as the daughter of (and residing with) Charles and Mary Clayton. I also have a photograph of James Stewart Clayton, b 1876 in Lambton Mills, the sibling born immediately before Annie Louise; however, there are three men in the photograph, and I don't know which one is James. I would be glad to post the photo if anyone thinks it might be helpful. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed with the research attempting to link these women. I apologize this comment is not concise. Thanks again.

Offline lclayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback China. I'm so "new" at this, I'm still learning protocol, learning this site, and learning what information is and isn't helpful. Of course, it should go without saying that it's important to mention possible connections. Sorry, I won't make that mistake again.  ;) I haven't been able to find any documents for Mary Matilda before she moved to Ontario and soon married. I've listed my sources on my tribal pages site, and I'd be glad to share any of that information that you might find helpful. I also have a public tree on Ancestry without as much detail on individuals and lines. I'm sorry, what is PANB?

Offline lclayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
A huge thank you to the person (bowman) that pasted Mary Matilda Stewart's photo next to Dora Emmeline's photo; that was very helpful, indeed!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi bowman:

The image is a bit spooky, but very much appreciated!  I tried to place the photos next to each other for comparison, but placing Mary's image so close to Dora's does help.

China, like Loriann, I cannot find the Stuarts/Stewarts/Stewards arriving in North America (which is not unusual).  There is a James and Sarah Steward on the 1851 Chinguacousy, Ontario census with their daughters - we believe they are Mary Matilda's family.  I cannot find this family group after the 1851 census (Mary and her sister, Margaret, are living in different households, as domestic help, I believe).  In 1861, my James and Sarah Stuart/Stewart ancestors appear, living in Etobicoke.  Only two of their daughters' names match two from the 1851 census, but the years of birth are off.  Not unusual - but surprising, since the children were quite young in 1851 (how do you make a mistake when the youngest is about 2 years old).

I have a thread on the Canada board (about the two Stuart families) and have received amazing help from RootsChatters regarding the Stuarts.  One RootsChatter has been helping me through pm's and she has uncovered quite a bit.

When I started researching, I only knew about Dora.  As it turns out, she may have had 8 or more siblings and possibly her father had at least 4 brothers and 2 sisters.  I am now finding this ancestor's family quite interesting as more and more similarities and possible relatives keep popping up!

Break over, back to work...
PS  Thank you to everyone for their interest and help.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 January 14 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Okay so the Stewarts were in Ontario by 1851? Then they wouldn't have been in Saint John in 1861, likely :P :D

Finding someone in Saint John in 1861 is difficult because most of the Saint John returns were lost.

PANB is the NB provincial archives. Sometimes very useful, especially the newspaper announcements because civil registration didn't begin there until I think the mid 1880s. Not as bad as Quebec, though :P
http://archives.gnb.ca/Archives/Default.aspx?culture=en-CA

BTW, have you checked Quebec? It's definitely on the way from Saint John to Ontario. Hard to avoid, even if they wanted to :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 January 14 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi China:

Sorry for the confusion.  The first official record of the Stuarts was the 1851 Chinguacousy, Ontario census.  It has Mary's family on it (parents were: James and Sarah Steward).  Mary was born in New Brunswick (possibly St. John) c1844.

My Stuarts (James and Sarah) were on the 1861 census, Etobicoke, Ontario.  Chinguacousy was either bordering Etobicoke or Etobicoke was actually a section of Chinguacousy (my notes are at home).

I can continue the explanation when I get home.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 January 14 04:17 GMT (UK) »
One of the reasons why we believe Dora and Mary were sisters:
1851 Chinguacousy, Ontario, Canada census
James Steward, Cooper, born Ireland, Wesleyan Methodist, age 35
Sarah Steward, born Ireland, Wesleyan Methodist, age 32
Living with them (most likely their children): Ann, Mary, Margaret, Jane, Sarah
The parents and all of the girls are shown as being born in Ireland.  A mistake, or were they really all born in Ireland.
One male child died during 1851, 11 months old

1861 Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada census
James Stuart, Cooper, born Ireland, Ch of England, age 46
Sarah Stuart, born Ireland, Ch of England, age 43
Living with them (most likely their children): Jane, Sarah, Elizabeth, Dorendo, Louisa, Infant (female)
In 1861, Mary Steward(t) appears to be living in Toronto, Canada with a baker and his family.  No occupation is given for Mary.
In 1861, Margaret Steward/Stuart appears to be living in Etobicoke with an innkeeper/farmer and his family.  She is shown as a servant.  Also shown as a servant is a James Stuart, age 17.  We had not heard of him prior to last week.

If the majority of those reading this thread do see a resemblance between the women, it is one more connection between the families.  Again, a lot of (additional) information has been uncovered about the family members.   ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse image-Done, thank you. Question about facial feature, please?
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 November 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Adding a final note about this topic:
During the time of this thread, a kind RootsChatter was helping me with the Stuarts.  She found information that linked the two Stuart women that made it just about impossible for them not to be related.
This week's news:  I finally took a DNA test (after thinking about it for one year).  I received my results a few days ago.  lclayton appeared in the "3rd cousin" category in my results; we are related.   The two women in this posting were sisters.  :)