Author Topic: Michael O'Brien <1834>, Patrick O'Brien <1835>, bootmakers, born Kilkenny  (Read 4857 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael O'Brien <1834>, Patrick O'Brien <1835>, bootmakers, born Kilkenny
« on: Friday 15 November 13 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

This is my first venture into finding records in Kilkenny so would be grateful for any pointers as to where to look.

I have just found (criminal) records for Michael and Patrick, two hitherto unknown O'Briens, at the same address in Dublin as some of my family in the mid-1860s, but they are noted as born in Kilkenny.

I don't know if they are older brothers, in which case the parents could be John and Susan, or if they are otherwise related to John O'Brien, bootmaker.  If they were his brothers, it's possible that the father was called James.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Michael O'Brien <1834>, Patrick O'Brien <1835>, bootmakers, born Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Still looking for Michael O'Brien, born about 1834 Kilkenny and Patrick born about 1835, also Kilkenny.

Both boot-makers, later (by mid-1860s, if not before) moved to Dublin.

Parents possibly John and Susan.  Also looking for the marriage of John O'Brien to Susan, which may also have taken place in Kilkenny.

Also looking for any other O'Brien boot-makers who may have moved from Kilkenny to Dublin between 1830s and 1850s.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
On the paid site rootsireland there are some births in the correct time frame of a Michael and Patrick with a Father John but none with a mother Susan
However at that point in time records were scant and many did not survive and of those that did not all are online

There are several births with the father James

There is only marriage marriage of a John and Susan and that is in Co. Waterford in 1829
Knockanore RC Parish (which is actually near Co. Cork rather than Kilkenny but may be of interest)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information myluck.

At least it gives me some starting points.  O'Brien is too common and the later births in Dublin are nearly all from several possible pairs of John and Susan.

The marriage in Knockanore looks like another one to add to the list for the next Dublin trip.

Is it possible that the name of the Susan in the 1829 marriage was either Corrigan or Corcoran?  I think that maybe I need to find at least one of the later missing baptisms in Dublin to get any further and I have spotted one with a possible location, and several references all giving a fairly consistent year of birth.  Just need to find out if that might match to the possible baptism ref. now.

Offline Artsangelssheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi DudleyWinchurch,
I know it's been a bit since you posted, but, I have a John O'Brien and his son Charles O'Brien, both born in Dublin that were bootmakers. They immigrated to San Francisco. Wonder if they are part of the same family you are researching
Sheila