Author Topic: Currie Family - James Currie & Jane Sloan, Annan Parish  (Read 22493 times)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Currie Family - James Currie & Jane Sloan, Annan Parish
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 February 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
I think Mavis Currie is the daughter of Albert C Currie b 6/10/1878 in Govan, Glasgow. Mother would be Beatrice E Williams.
Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 February 15 02:14 GMT (UK) »
There are two more children of William Currie and Ann Train that Gadget did not mention. They are:
Adam Currie 9 Jun 1793, Stair, Ayrshire
Charles Currie born 1801 or 1802 also in Stair, Ayrshire. William Currie and Ann Train, were named as parents on his death certificate in 1881.

Is there anyone else researching this Currie family? I'd love to hear from you.
Regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 February 15 05:49 GMT (UK) »
There are two more children of William Currie and Ann Train that Gadget did not mention. They are:
Adam Currie 9 Jun 1793, Stair, Ayrshire
Charles Currie born 1801 or 1802 also in Stair, Ayrshire. William Currie and Ann Train, were named as parents on his death certificate in 1881.

Is there anyone else researching this Currie family? I'd love to hear from you.
Regards, Nan

Well, you're getting close now.    My gt.gt.gt. grandfather was James Currie.   His daughter Agnes Currie was born 1818 and was a servant in the Manse at Coylton in 1841 when she met and married my gt.gt.grandfather John Draffan there.     I think James Currie married Jean Dobbie on 13 November 1807 in Tarbolton.   Stair is halfway between Tarbolton and Coylton.

So we might be on a converging track.    Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 February 15 06:54 GMT (UK) »
James Currie the son of William Currie and Ann Train was born 10 Jun 1798 in Ochiltree, Ayrshire and baptized there on 17 Jun 1798 according to the IGI. As already stated above he married Jane Sloan 1 Jan 1875 in Kirkpatrick Fleming Dumfries. I cannot find a date of birth for Jane Sloan in the IGI.
Malcolm, what is the date of birth for your James? There are many James Curries in Ayrshire. I saw the marriage of a James Currie and Jean Dobbie but could never figure out where that James belonged.
confused......

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Litten,
Thank you for posting the information on the Curries in NZ. We are very distantly related. I had traced Charles Currie to NZ but hadn't gone any further. His father James was the brother of my 3x great grandfather William. I can go back a few more generations I believe. Adam Currie and Janet Tinnock were William's parents as already mentioned. Further back is difficult to prove but I have found what I  think is Adam's baptism. If interested please contact me.
Regards, Nan

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 February 15 18:16 GMT (UK) »

Malcolm, what is the date of birth for your James? There are many James Curries in Ayrshire. I saw the marriage of a James Currie and Jean Dobbie but could never figure out where that James belonged.
confused......

Hi Nan,    It is so many years since I last searched for James Currie, but I'm sure that I was never able to identify his birth at that time.   Stewarton rings a bell as one of the locations I thought possible.    I have Jean Dobbie's birth down as 1780 but not sure where I got that from now.   It seems that they had children - James 1808, Barbara 1810, John 1812, David 1814, Jean (?), and Agnes my gt.gt.grandmother born 1818.
    Agnes married John Draffan in 1841 and their first son was named George, but then next son was named James Currie Draffan, born 1846.   There is a photograph of him and his 'intended' on this page - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=657046.msg5029665#msg5029665 with some wonderful restorations which are now treasured.
    The Currie name continued as my grandfather named his eldest son James Currie Draffan - my late Uncle Jim.
     Anyway you have stirred me into looking once more into our Currie line - there has to be a connection somewhere, for Ochiltree, Stewarton, Tarbolton, Stair and Coylton all fall within a rather small triangle.     Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 February 15 19:11 GMT (UK) »
   Now that I have started looking again for my James and Jean Currie, I've noticed something interesting.    I had always thought that Agnes only went to Coylton from wherever to work in the Manse.   However I now see that although James and Jean were married in Tarbolton in 1807, their first two children James and Barbara were born in Coylton but all the rest including Agnes herself were born in Tarbolton.    I know that Coylton though a very small village at that time, was mainly occupied by weavers and that is what two of my Draffan's were doing there, although they came from Douglas.
    Robert Burns loved the area and his poem "The Soldier's Return" is set in Coylton:

"And for fair Scotia, hame again,
I cheery on did wander;
I thought upon the banks o’ Coil,
I thought upon my Nancy,
And ay I mind’t the witching smile
That caught my youthful fancy.

At length, I reach’d the bonie glen,
Where early life I sported;
I pass’d the mill and trysting thorn,
Where Nancy aft I courted;
Wha’ spied I but my ain dear maid,
And turn’d me round to hide the flood
That in my e’en was swelling."

Nancy is a diminutive for Agnes.   I found a fantastic old sketch of the Mill on the net, but the Trysting Thorn is now a new growth from a root of the old tree.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 February 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
     The same names in the Currie families are definitely repeating and not only that but they are all in Coylton.    For example, Adam Currie and Janet Guthrie also had a daughter they named Barbara but in 1818, whereas the Barbara born to James Currie and Jean Dobbie was baptised in Coylton in 1810, before that family moved to Tarbolton.    The IGI Batch numbers for baptisms and marriages in Coylton bring up many more Currie's than I had suspected, even a William Currie.   Earliest is a Hugh Currie who married there in 1748, but then there is a long gap to the early 1800's.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 February 15 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,
I believe the William born 1803 in Coylton was a son of William Currie and Ann Train. The Adam Currie who was born in 1793 and baptized in Stair and who later married Janet Guthrie was
another son. You are right that there were many Curries in Ayrshire. I wonder if there still are. So many pulled up stakes and sailed off to other countries.
It's difficult to sort out the Ayrshire Curries because of the repetition of names and their move from one village to another. By the way I hadn't noticed before that there had been a Hugh married in 1748 in Coylton. Interesting.......My gt grandfather and uncle were both Hugh Curries. I have a cousin Barbara and my name is a diminutive of Agnes.
Can we find a link with our Curries, Malcolm?
Regards, Nan