Author Topic: Professional Researcher for County Wicklow  (Read 13922 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Professional Researcher for County Wicklow
« on: Sunday 17 November 13 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I am so frustrated with trying to find anything - just anything - about my ancestor Anthony Fawcett, I thought I would try a professional researcher. Has any one any recommendations for a person who knows their way around Wicklow/Dublin archives?

And I know you will ask so:
1. I know his name and occupation (land steward) from the death certificate for my grt grandfather Peter Fawcett here in New Zealand.
2. From Rootsireland.ie he may be the Anthony Faucett with wife Rosanne who had a child Peter baptised 25 Sept 1827 in Donnybrook, Dublin.

You would not believe how many Anthony Fawcett's there are in Ireland. Perhaps I will look for John Brown instead ;D
Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Professional Researcher for County Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 November 13 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Irish Genealogy Church Records when entering Fawcett location Wicklow gives a few results including an Anthony Fawcett as witness to a wedding in 1862.

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank You dathai,

Yes, I have looked at those records - the only trouble is, I do not know which Anthony Fawcett is mine
I will continue to search.
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately a researcher, who will find the same records that you did, will probably not know which (if any) is the correct Anthony Fawcett.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Just a few thoughts to help with your search. You make no mention of religion when referring to your "Fawcett" search, but for Irish records some indication as to whether the family was Roman Catholic or Protestant is absolutely vital. ? what religion was your known relatives?

If one searches the 1901 Census for Ireland one comes up with 300 odd individuals with the surname "Fawcett" almost all of some Protestant denomination. and although none are listed as living in Co. Wicklow  surely some of them have to be descendants of your common ancestor.

When one searches the Civil Registers Birth , Marriages and Deaths for Ireland, one comes across only a few references for "Fawcett" in Co. Wicklow. There appears to be one family , a William Fawcett who Died in Rathdrum District Co. Wicklow in 1865 aged 85, and his Wife Grace Fawcett, died 1873 aged 84.  Any way your relative could be connected to them ?

I also looked today at at reference books of Gravestone inscriptions for County Wicklow and the only ones for the whole period up to 1880 for any name even resembling "Fawcett" where those 2. 

As you can see what I am doing is trying to find the area to look in, then and only then can one start to investigate church records for possible baptisms etc.

PS  I came across a reference to a "Henry Fawcett" from Rathdrum, co Wicklow who died in Victoria in 1884. Does that connect to anyone of yours?

Cheers
Kevin (meath999) , my daughter lives in Co Wicklow hence the interest.

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 November 13 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear aghadowey,

Please forgive me for appearing cheeky, but I cannot believe that all records for every Anthony Fawcett in Wicklow is available on the internet.

I had hoped that a researcher, given names, and a date range might find either a marriage or a death.

Sincerely,
Jean Price

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 November 13 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

My last sighting of my Anthony Fawcett is in 1851 when his son Peter married in Saintfield, County Down, and named him as his father and a steward in Wicklow. But I have learnt that this does not mean that Anthony was alive in 1851.

I do not know of any siblings for Peter, so do not think the 1901 census will do me any good.
Peter died in 1891 in New Zealand, and no siblings have been found here. 

I am behaving like a spoilt brat - complaining that I do not have enough information about my
great (x3) grandfather - and yet there are others desperate to find their birth parents.

Rant over.
Jean

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 November 13 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear aghadowey,

Please forgive me for appearing cheeky, but I cannot believe that all records for every Anthony Fawcett in Wicklow is available on the internet.

I had hoped that a researcher, given names, and a date range might find either a marriage or a death.

Sincerely,
Jean Price

Sorry if my post wasn't clear so let me explain. You are looking for an Anthony Fawcett and have found some records online. A researcher will be likely to find the same records. Neither of you can probably be sure which if any are for the correct Anthony Fawcett. A researcher might, or might not, find more records but again probably no way of knowing which, if any, are correct.
It is difficult when you don't have much information to start a search. As you mentioned, Anthony may not be alive when his son married in 1851. It's also possible he was alive then and living in Wicklow only at that time but was living elsewhere before or after 1851. Is it a church record of the 1851 marriage that you have (civil records don't list father's residence)?
Do any of the records you found give Wicklow as Peter's birthplace? Saintfield is quite a distance from Wicklow but Peter could have moved there for work.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 November 13 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,
To answer your original "Rant" ( as you yourself describe it ) , there is a website www.apgi.ie where you can contact The Association of Professional Genealogists of Ireland.

However I will add a few further thoughts to your Wicklow request.

(1) You say Peter married in Co. Down, but often the wedding is in the brides home church not the groom's. Could Peter have been living in Wicklow not Down, or have you evidence as to where he lived/was born etc.

(2) As to the spelling of the surname, the William Fawcett i referred to in my earlier post, who died in Co. Wicklow in 1865 aged 85, is listed on the Gravestone as .."of Ballygannon" and he is buried in Dunganstown Churchyard (Cof I) in Co. Wicklow. When one  looks up Griffiths Valuation for the area, the only even vaguely similar name is for "William Faucett" a substantial landholder in the same area. Must be the same person .

Good luck with your search.

Kevin (Meath999)