Author Topic: census look up for william young  (Read 4517 times)

Offline missmilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
census look up for william young
« on: Sunday 17 November 13 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello , I have not been online for a long time and I am still not very good with websites so sorry if I am in the wrong place or if my request is a bit vague.

I have had some poems sent to me by one of my recently discovered uncles , on the top of one of the poems is written " this poem was about my grannies brother " . I have telephoned my uncle as we live to far away to visit as often as I would like . I asked him if he could tell me any more about this part of his (my )family history . He is 91 and gets very excited and confused if I ask to many questions and I wondered if anyone on rootschat can help me.

The real name of the man in the poem is William Young and he was a scaffie ( i looked it up to be street sweeper ) in East Linton but I do not know the dates. My uncle Thomas John Hunter Auld lived in the upstairs rooms of a house in East Linton and his granny and grandad lived downstairs .

The poem is called the presentation and was written by Robert Anderson.

Any new information would be great.  The worst thing to hear was my uncle Tom was given a family tree , he can not remember who gave it to him but sadly he said he thought it was full of "tinkers" and he destroyed it.  :'(

Breeds , Knight  , Richardson, Harman ,Auld ,  Johnstone,  Denholm, Young, Leitch, Bell,  Gylear,  Bruce,  Dodds,  Mckenzie,  Smith, Hall .

Hastings, Scotland

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: census look up for william young
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 November 13 17:20 GMT (UK) »
You haven't said when you think William Young was born, but I've found this entry from the 1901 census. Could this be him? The occupation is wrong but my labouring ancestors  seem to have changed jobs and yours may be the same.
Name:   William Young
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1864
Relationship:   Head
Spouse's name :   Mary Young
Where born:   Spott, haddingtonsh
Registration number:   717
Registration District:   Prestonkirk
Civil Parish:   Prestonkirk
Town:   East Linton
County:   East Lothian
Address:   Main Street
ED:   2
Household Schedule Number:   66
Line:   16
Roll:   CSSCT1901_409
Household Members:   
Name   Age
William Young   37
Mary Young   34
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline missmilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 November 13 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for such a fast reply, sorry I did not have any dates but I am trying to work out if my uncles memories of him are of a old or young man.
This is a great starting point as I can now see if he remembers a Mary Young or if the address is familiar  to him.
Uncle Tom did say he had seen a old photograph of a relative up on a horse and cart so it could be him.
Thank you again for your help, if I find out any more details I will post them here.
Breeds , Knight  , Richardson, Harman ,Auld ,  Johnstone,  Denholm, Young, Leitch, Bell,  Gylear,  Bruce,  Dodds,  Mckenzie,  Smith, Hall .

Hastings, Scotland

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 November 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with your search. What a pity your uncle destroyed the tree. I've found one or two pretty disreputable people in mine but that's what makes it so interesting. ???
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham