Author Topic: George Wilton of Daventry  (Read 3829 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Wilton of Daventry
« on: Tuesday 19 November 13 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
   Can anyone help with the following?

I have a George Wilton born circa 1560 at Daventry, Northampton. George attended Magdalen College at Oxford and achieved a B A in 1582 and a M A in 1585. He later moved to Crediton in Devon, married a lady called Ann (possibly surname Woodward?) and had issue: Patience, Anne, Thomas and George.
George Wilton was also a Schoolmaster of Crediton. I am wondering if anyone can help with Georges ancestry?

Also there is a Deliverance Wilton baptised in 1589 at Daventry (no parents given). He also attended Magdalen College achieving B A in 1609, M A 1612, B D 1619 and Fellow 1610 - 1627. I think Deliverance died in 1627 in London (he may have left a will?).

I feel there is a connection with the above people as they both came from Daventry and were surnamed Wilton and both went to Magdalen College. Also George Wiltons daughter Patience Wilton who married Thomas Larkham had issue called Deliverance and also grandchildren called Deliverance.

The only other Wilton information I have found is that of a Lancelot Wilton of Brackley who leased land to the College in 1562 and 1563.

The final bit of information is that of the Protestant Martyr John Penry 1563 - 1593 who married an Eleanor Godley from Northampton in 1588 and had four daughters: Deliverance 1589, Comfort, Safely and Sure-Hope. Eleanor Godley was the daughter of a Henry Godley.

If anyone can help with any of the above much appreciated! ??? :)

Offline mohun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Wilton of Daventry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
George Wilton's wife was Anne daughter of Thomas Dalby of Brookhampton. Her brother was Thomas Dalby Mercer of London whose Will (PROB:11/134), written 3 Oct 1619, pvd 13 Nov 1619, records "my sister Wilton and every one of her children". Her brother's children were, Thomas, Edward (Inner Temple and Recorder of Reading) and Judith, - Edward and Judith recorded in Anne's Will 3 Nov 1646, pvd 10 Aug 1649 (PROB:11/209). See also Visitations of Warwickshire 1619, and Visitations (4) of Berkshire 1665/6. I have more on George Wilton and Thomas Larkham.