Author Topic: Neate/Perry /All Cannings  (Read 61115 times)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neate/Perry /All Cannings
« on: Tuesday 19 November 13 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thought I had better start a new thread. I am awaiting birth ,death and marriage certs for a William John Neate Perry but have seen on Roots Chat that others are linking Perry and Neate to All Cannings.
I know it is just outside Devizes , on the Southbroom side I believe , and wondered if any one else has a Perry /Neate connection. I have been to Devizes but never to All Cannings so I guess that needs to be the next trip. Any info. gratefully received. As always thank you.
M. ???
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Neate/Perry /All Cannings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi miggs,

I don't know what timescale your looking at, but have you considered contacting the
Wilts On-Line parish clerk - they may have something of interest for you.
You can go to them at this address;
http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/genealogy/index.php/parish-directory/item/20-all-cannings

There is reference to a Will of Thomas Neate the Elder.
There are also transcriptions of bapts., marriages & burials

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 21:50 GMT (UK) »
the Neate family can be found all around that general area......  All Cannings Bishops Cannings, Devizes ........  and as far as Broadchalk Urchfont and Bishopstone that I can remember.     I would suggest going to the Wiltshire County Council website found in google , add probates and the search engine should come up on top of the list..... enter Neate without a place to give u an idea of the scop of villages they are found.....    Kit Withers has a freepage on ancestry that also discussed the Neate family....they are an extremely old family in Wiltshire.
i am not certain of the links anymore, but I used to find old land documents etc for that region through the British National Archives search engine, which linked to sources in Wiltshire.
 :)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 01:08 GMT (UK) »
having gone away and looked at a few things>   I think you need to consider the following pdf

https://archive.org/details/registersofbisho00bish   which has all of the main Neat/ Neate entries in it for the region.......

and funnily enuff it is written by     wait for it.........

Joseph Henry Parry.......      and I was going to say your Perry lineage for Wiltshire would have been Parry in earlier times.

pertaining of this search I would consider using family search.org as their coverage for this area of Wilts is quite good........

The Neate family are mentioned quite a lot in the Devizes not only as churchwardens but tradefolk such as carpenters thatchers and yeomen.
Some quick checking did reveal they were in fact members of the Quakers in the Calne branch and their history is mentioned in the History of Wiltshire notes volumes 3 6 and 7.

As previously mentioned the Neate family is mentioned on Kit Withers forum posts and I saw the original entries in the book discribed above..          so at the end of the day they are related to the Shergolds..........................  :) and me

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 06:07 GMT (UK) »
If you find you have Neate connections to the Calne area that married into the Henly family then would be interested to hear from you.

I was born not too far away from All Cannings in the village of Worton about 3-4 miles from Devizes.  My Wiltshire family roots are from mainly the North of Wiltshire Calne, Brinkworth, Chippenham and Devizes.  Although I now live in Scotland I have a large family still living in the area of Melksham and Devizes. I also have many friends and connections to Wiltshire so if anyone needs photographs etc.  Please feel free to ask and If I can help I will

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 January 14 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miggs

If you've not already had access, take a look at these transcriptions of the Parish Registers of Allcannings and Etchilhampton 1579-1812 by Joseph Henry PARRY, B.A., Barrister-at-Law and late Scholar of New College,  published 1905: https://archive.org/stream/registersallcan00etchgoog#page/n3/mode/2up

Whilst they are stated to be complete for All Cannings in 'A History of Wiltshire', there are likely to be more omissions than those I've been able to rectify after reference to the few extant Bishops' Transcripts for that period.

Happy hunting!
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 January 14 07:58 GMT (UK) »
good on ya dee :)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 August 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
A belated thank you to all of those above.
I've been side tracked with the death of the owner of the research but I have inherited seventy years of research so I'm back up and running !
I'm looking for a web of missing links including Neate,Perry,Neate Perry Neate,Maslen and Chandler. Also Eyles but not sure if they are this area. Does anyone know the name ?
The biggest thorn in my side is Louisa Elizabeth Maslen who married John Perry of Devizes.
Her marriage cert 1846 shows that her father is George Maslen grocer. Through her whole life ( legal docs etc) she maintains she was born in Covent Garden 1821. She has a sister ,Sarah, who later lives and works with her in Devizes. Sarah owns a milliners around 1850.
My belief is that Louisa is possibly the grand daughter or great niece of Sarah Grace who owned and ran The Castle hotel in Devizes.
Sarah Grace appears to have had a base born child but I can not find the documents in my paperwork inheritance to confirm this. It also seems that Sarah married a Richard Chandler before she married William Grace of the Castle. Again no documents. It appears that they all have links to All Cannings.
Any ideas or suggestions great fully received.
 I am aware that this is off topic of  Neate but on top of it all there is an alleged son of Louisa Elizabeth Maslin named John Neate Perry Neate ! I have found him He moved to Somerset and ran a grocery business but where is the proof that this Perry Neate is linked to my Perrys?
I can't drive so trips to Chippenham records office are limited as I live on the south coast.
Thank you for reading this .
I will be grateful for any ideas that may move me forward on where to look,who to ask,etc.
Thank you.🙂
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork