Author Topic: 1861 Canada Census - Error regarding gender?  (Read 1689 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1861 Canada Census - Error regarding gender?
« on: Tuesday 19 November 13 22:34 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors are on shown on the 1861 Etobicoke, Ontario census.  The parents are listed first, followed by children in the following order, ages: 13, 9, 8, 5, 1, and 3.  Since the 3 year old is shown after her younger sibling, it was suggested that "enumerator missed her when he was copying the entries onto the form until after he had entered the information for" the infant.  All of the children were recorded as females.

Question:  Since there is a chance that the enumerator may have made a mistake when copying the entries, is it possible that the infant (the one year old) could have been a male?  Obviously, mistakes were made on census returns, but would anyone know if mistakes were made regarding genders?  Thank you for reading this post.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Canada Census - Error regarding gender?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
If I recall correctly, I have come across mistakes in the gender column before so it is possible.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie:

It is good to know it is possible.  Thank you for your help, Jacquie.

Lise
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
PS  I forgot to mention  ::)  the one year old is simply recorded as "infant of J.S." (the father's initials), it doesn't give the infant's name, so there's no way to determine if the enumerator made a mistake.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Is this baby definitely 1 year old,or could it be 1 month or even 1 week and therefore not named yet?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi carol8353:

Because the children's years of birth vary with almost every record (when we've been lucky enough to find marriage and death records, and looking at other census returns), we cannot say that it isn't for my greatgrandmother (who supposedly was born near the end of 1861), but

with the help of other wonderful RootsChatters, we've found a list of burials where my greatgrandparents are buried.  There are five burials (prior to 1900) for people with her maiden name and one of the burials is for a male, buried July 30, 1861.  If it's possible that a mistake was made on the census return, then the burial could be for her brother.

Thank you for your interest in this thread.  :)  It does make me wonder the true age of the child on the census.

Note:  I just took another look at the census.  "Births in 1860: 1, female"   :-\ 
Now I am wondering if my ggm's records are wrong and she was born in 1860. 

Thank you, carol8353 - you've found another clue.   :)