Author Topic: Donaldson/McAlister/McArthur/Campbeltown Scotland  (Read 13221 times)

Offline hunkychunky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson/McAlister/McArthur/Campbeltown Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 September 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
hi  Archibald Donaldson and catherine scally married 25 December 1914 were my grandparents and I would be delighted to hear from you hunkychunky

Offline wjsmyth

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
hi mcajdo1                                                                                     my great great grandmother was a margaret mcdonald  she married malcom smith they had a lot of children some 13 i believe one called peter he married a elizabeth mctaggart who was the daughter of john mctaggart and elizabeth mcalister .they were married in campbeltown in 1856 does this fit in anywhere in your ancestry.  best wishes john smyth
researching smyth.savage. mccoy.mccutcheon.king.
these are the names i am most intrested in some others are holland .rooney.and fisher with county down ireland connections

Offline hunkychunky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 17:47 BST (UK) »
if it is of any help my grandmother was catherine scally who married archibald donaldson on 25 december 1914

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 December 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My great great great grandmother Rosann O'Hara was married  first to my great great great grandfather Duncan McTaggart. On his death she got married to a William Smith, his parents were a Peter Smith and Mary Smith nee White.
This was in 1865 in Glasgow.
I also have a George McAllister who was married to my great great grandfather,s daughter Roseann Mctaggart.
Any link to anyone?
brandane
P.S. Previous posting that i had put on for William Smith at south street glasgow was wrong persons, sorry...
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline conalb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 April 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My husband's Great Granfather William Wilson married Ellen McAlister in Campbeltown in 1861.  Her father and mother were Archibald and Janet m.s. McArthur. Archibald McAlister is shown as a hawker.
Connie
Albin, Wilson, McCormick, McAlister

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
She had a brother James and lists her parents as Archibald McAlister and Janet McArthur.  They Stayed there until atleast 1896, and are probably buried there. They had 8 children John born 1895, Janet b.1879?, Catherine b. 1885?
Any info would help!

Hi there !

I'm a right newbie here so I'm no expert.   As such, what I'm about to give you may produce more confusion than anything else.    Nontheless…, as your dates have question marks… and you speak about 8 children… a Janet, a Catherine, an Alexander plus a date of 1896 (the year that Janet, their mother died) you might like to compare these findings. 

Thanks to Monica and friends, I built on details she sent me from the 1901 census.   

1.   James MacArthur:  Birth: 21 FEB 1885 Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
2.   Janet McCaffer MacArthur:  Birth: 18 SEP 1886 Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
3.   Catherine (Kate) McCuig MacArthur:  Birth: 19 AUG 1888 Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
4.   Neil McCuig MacArthur:  Birth: 13 AUG 1890 Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
5.   Annie McCuig MacArthur: Birth: 01 JAN 1893 Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
6.   Mary Martin McCuaig MacArthur: (my Grandmother)  Birth: 12 JAN 1895 Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
7.   Robina McArthur:
8.   Alexander McArthur:  1900

Their parents were…

   Robert McFarlane MacArthur: (my ggrandfather)   Birth:  11 Sep. 1860 Campbeltown, Argyle, Scotland. (And as Little Nell said..., he was a butcher) Marriage:  03 June 1884 Campbeltown, Argyle, Scotland 
   Janet (MacArthur) McCaffer McCuaig: Death:  23 Oct. 1896

Roberts' parents were…

   James McArthur… here, the only thing I discovered was a 10 foot high wall !  :) Marriage: JAN 1850 Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
   Catherine Hawthorn.

Note that all these MacArthurs are Mac …, except for James McArthur. (I think)

Something I don't understand is your Janet is married to a McAlister !!    Nonetheless..., as Janet died on 1896, Robina and Alexander were obviously not hers. (explaining why I have no details of them)    As such, a re-marriage with a McAlister could be the answer ?

--------------------

PS    Like a voice from the dead..., I smile when I think back to my childhood in Campbeltown. (I am only 62..., he says as he stretches the bags under his eyes to flatten them out)    There was an awful lot of talk about McAlisters.   And it was always, "THE McAlisters !"  :)      Farmers in those days were highly prized acquaintances..., even if they were, pig farmers.    One of "the" McAlisters would stop by every week to pick up the garbage.     
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline conalb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 22:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, my janet married a McAlister, but much earlier than it would have been possible for yours.
Connie
Albin, Wilson, McCormick, McAlister