Author Topic: King's Regulations (Air)  (Read 3406 times)

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
King's Regulations (Air)
« on: Friday 22 November 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the King's Regulations (Air)?  I am looking for what it says relating to a discharge for a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force.  The person was discharged under paragraph 195 (12) (a).  I want to know what this paragraph says.  Many thanks for any help!
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: King's Regulations (Air)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 November 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
King's Regulations and Air Council Instructions came in various amended forms and were periodically re-issued with a date.

They were also issued for the Royal Air Force,  the Royal Canadian Air Force etc,

Para 195 in the 1943 Royal Air Force Issue, amended to May 1944 relates to Arms and Accoutrements on Leave in the Uniforms chapter.

This suggests that you need access to the RCAF version but you also need to give an approximate year to allow someone else to look it up.

Regards
Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 November 13 21:04 GMT (UK) »
The discharge was in Halifax on March 23, 1945.  It appears to be for some medical reason.

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 November 13 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Para 195 (12 (a) .....Medically unfit for any form of air force service

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 November 13 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Spikey68!

This case is interesting in that his sister stated that he was in a plane (probably troop transport) that was shot down and had to have a plate in his forehead.  His discharge states that he had no wounds, but also notes that he had a scar on his forehead.  He returned home and suffered from seizures for many years.  In his photo collection was a mass military funeral procession which adds to the mystery.  Furthermore, the person thereafter always had an emotional response to the sound of planes diving (like it was crashing) in old war movies.  He rarely said anything about his war experiences.

Anyone aware of a large number of troops killed in a plane crash in Labrador in late 1944 or early 1945?

Again many thanks for the help!

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 November 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the CWGC website and search for the dates you are interested in, plus some filters for, saya Canadian forces and commemorated in Canade, but without giving any names, you'll get quite a big list.
There's an export button on the results page which will enable you to send all the data to EXcel and then sort and filter it out. My test, using Canadian Air Force and Army, and 1st Oct 1944 to 19March 1945, returned 426 records.
By sorting on cemetery, and removing the obvious like Ottawa and Toronto, I got the list down to just over 200. Then sorting by date of death might show up something, or as you'll undoubtedly have better knowledge of Canadian geography than I do, you'll be able to narrow the cemeteries down faster.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 November 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Great tip GrahamSimons!  I know the place in question was Goose Bay, Labrador.  I did a search for the dates the person was there and see that July 6, 1944 was probably the relevant date for the mass funeral as they have listed 11 people dying on that day.  This likely fits the pictures I saw of the funeral procession.

As far as any crash the person himself could have been in I note that on November 3, 1944, there were four deaths with another one week later.

Anyway, great leads to follow up on.  Many thanks for all the help!

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 December 13 07:52 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that the person was indeed a survivor of a deadly plane crash while stationed there.  So again I thank everyone for the help in my quest to pin down the date.