Author Topic: Radford Family  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Radford Family
« on: Saturday 23 November 13 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, I am researching the Radford family for a friend who live in Australia.

I have John Radford b abt 1807 Kentisbeare married Eleanor Radford b abt 1807 Kentisbeare, they married 4 Sept 1832 at Bicton, Devon. I do have thier children.

I have reseached for both John and Eleanor parents to no avail, I have tried IGI, FindMyPast and Ancestr*

Eleanor died 1879 in Otterton (no cert) and John died 1861 Otterton (no cert).

Any help finding thier parents would be great.
Thank you very much in advance
Pam

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
Re: Radford Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 November 13 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Found this on FindMyPast site and wondered if they could be John's parents:- William Radford  married Sarah Salter in Kentisbeare  3 July 1805.
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 November 13 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Devon Maid, Just need to find Eleanor (Ellen) parents, I was just wondering if Eleanor was married before to another Radford before marrying John in 1832.

Thank you again

Pam

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 November 13 10:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that says that she was born 15 March 1807 in Kentisbeare and that her parents were Thomas Radford and Elizabeth Gosling. However, you would need to verify this. The parish records are held in the Devon Record Office. I note from FindMyPast that they were married in Bicton. It may be worth contacting the online parish clerk as she may be able to provide more information.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 November 13 01:23 GMT (UK) »
You have their children but I had to go looking. ;)

1851 census in Otterton
Thomas 18
William 16
Jemima 8
Ellen 7
Eliza 6
Kessia 3
Charles 1

A birth certificate for one of the younger children will give you Eleanor's actual birth surname, to determine for sure whether she was a Radford by birth or by first marriage.

... Unfortunately they're hard to find: can't see a good match for Ke*, Charles, Ellen or Jemima, all said to have been born in Otterton (St Thomas reg dist) ... Eliza could be Elizabeth, 1845. There was a Jemima 1838 but that seems a little off. (Children's ages in 1861 basically match 1851, so are consistent.) If they didn't register their births, that would be a bit of a drag.

Also at Anc'y a user has corrected her name to Kezia, and you might want to contact that person if they are not known to you (the correction is dated 2007 and the user last logged in 10 months ago, but might still be reachable).
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline barbarabanter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 June 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning, I am researching the Radford family for a friend who live in Australia.

I have John Radford b abt 1807 Kentisbeare married Eleanor Radford b abt 1807 Kentisbeare, they married 4 Sept 1832 at Bicton, Devon. I do have thier children.

I have reseached for both John and Eleanor parents to no avail, I have tried IGI, FindMyPast and Ancestr*

Eleanor died 1879 in Otterton (no cert) and John died 1861 Otterton (no cert).

Any help finding thier parents would be great.
Thank you very much in advance
Pam

To my surprise we are both looking into the same family whom I am also a relation. I am very new to researching my family history and wondered if you would care to swap information?
Regards
Barbarabanter