Author Topic: Laytons in Canada  (Read 4937 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laytons in Canada
« on: Monday 25 November 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful if anyone can help with this problem.  Someone contacted me from Canada as we share the same Laytons of Worcestershire tree.   She said her line was William Unett Layton (1803 Mathon, Worc) who moved with his brothers John (1812). Henry (1813) and Thomas (1816) to Canada about 1834.   William Unett Layton’s (WUL) son was William (1843 Ontario) who married Jane (Anderson) (1847 Scotland).  However a marriage entry in February 1866 shows William and Jane marrying Clarke township, Ontario with his parents as Henry Soper (?) and Jane(Frank) Layton.   A witness was Miles Ogden who was married to Bella, Williams’s sister.   I have seen WUL (1803) as father to William (1843) on other family trees on Ancestry.com but it might be a mistake copied and passed on.   Who is William’s father / parents ?  Another query connected to this, is that on FT’s William is also given a 2nd name of Barnes (Barnes was his grandmother’s maiden name) but nowhere on the census entries for him do I see that 2nd name given.  I know this sounds rather confusing but anyone able to throw light on this puzzle ?   Does anyone have access to the original marriage entry ?
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Laytons in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 November 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Happy to see you are a bit skeptical about info in online trees. One should be cautious with them and use them as a guide for their own research. People seem to do a fair bit of copying incorrect info from one tree to another.

About William Barnes Layton ...

There is a death record for a William Barnes Layton age 26 on 11 Mar 1873 in Toronto Ontario. No mention of parents.

It appears that your William remained in Clarke Twp, which is in Durham County, according to censuses?

There is a death in Durham for a William Layton b. 05 Aug 1841 and d. 04 Jan 1912. Parents for this chap are given as William Layton and Elizabeth Caswell, both b. England.

Sorry I can't help with the marriage but hopefully someone who can will come along.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 November 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  At least that is a record of a William Barnes Layton - I have not been able to find that name so far.  Once I discover at least 2 discrepancies I start to doubt all the information I have been given and wonder if it is a mistake just being copied and passed on !
But the William Layton (B 1842) is still alive on 1901 census.    There are just so many of those William Laytons !   If the 2nd name of Barnes had been used on census or marriage then it is more definate for identification.    Yes, the family was in on Clarke township.   It looks as if William and his family farmed in Clarke, but his brothers - John / Henry / Thomas went to the Toronto area.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

Possible clarification about William Barnes Layton ....

1868 Toronto Directory hasthe following people living at the Caer Howell Hotel on College Av

Francis C Layton
Henry U Layton Prop (assume means proprieter of the hotel)
Mrs Jane Layton (Widow Henry) (so s/b the mother)
William B Layton Watchmaker (the WBL who died in 1873 was noted to be a jeweller in the record which would fit with watchmaker)

I think this is possibly the family of William Barnes Layton, his parents being William's brother Henry and Jane (above). Unfortunately, relationships are not given in directories.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Family search says the William Barnes Layton who died in 1873 was born in 1847

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDTL-9P2

1871 census has the family that Polarbear found.  They are in Toronto - Jane is an innkeeper.  William here doesn't have a middle initial, but he is the right age to be the one who died in Toronto in 1873

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1871/Pages/item.aspx?itemid=1592820

(I searched for Francis from PB's list... the least common name)

RK

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Based on information at Family Search, we know William Unett Layton was baptized 15 Oct 1803 in Mathon with parents William Unett and Ann Layton. And a William Layton married Elizabeth Caswell on 19 Mar 1827 in Claines, Worcestershire.

There is a passenger list for the Isabella which departed from Bristol and arrived in New York on 5 Jun 1833 which has a Wm Layton (29, farmer), Elizabeth (20), Charlotte (2), Edward (4), Henry (22) and John (20) listed.

There is a death for a Charlotte Layton in Clarke Twp, Durham County who died 12 Dec 1916 at the age of 86 years, 3 months. Unfortunately in the space for her parents' names there is nothing listed. There is a death for Edwin Layton who died in Clarke Twp on 22 Jan 1899 at the age of 66. Unfortunately the names of parents weren't included on death registrations from this time period. Both Charlotte and Edward/Edwin were unmarried.

But the William Layton (B 1842) is still alive on 1901 census.

??? The William Layton born about 1842 that PB mentioned died in 1912 so he should be on the 1901 Canada census.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 04:46 GMT (UK) »
William and family are also found in the 1911 census. Charlotte age 80 is listed as sister to William in this one. Also in the household is William's widowed sister Bella Ogden. William's birth date in this census is Aug 1841, which matches the 1912 death record.

PB

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
You are all such stars !   I always say this is one amazing website for family historians ! thank you all so much.   A lot of the information supplied I do already have.   But had not found any mention of a William Barnes Layton - plenty of just William.   I need to spend some time today looking closely at all the information you have all supplied for me to match it up.   The lady in Canada who I spoke about, has the closest connection, but at the moment she is unable to tell me where she got her information from, that her ancestor was WUL and not Henry, his brother.   And it is the same with others who have this on their FT.   But then perhaps I should 'get a life' - perhaps doing the ironing would be less mind stretching !

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you could perhaps help me track the correct family line going the other way.   
Edythe Maria Walker (B1907)
daughter of Annie (or Anne) Layton (1874 - 1944 Clarke)
daughter of William (supposedly 2nd name Barnes but I am not sure) Layton (B1843 - 1912 Clarke)
Now who is Williams parents, that is the question ?