Author Topic: Jewish family name of BARSS  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Dauro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish family name of BARSS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Steve,

I have found several documents for you, they will be in your email shortly.

Now I know its quite easy to say that Phlip is not the father of Elias. That would be 0% and the we would be done. But can I prove that he isn't? Nope, can't so we are back at a possibility of 50% that Phlip is Elias father.

Was Elias the only child recognized? No.....

We have Elias 1842, Lida 1847 and Samuel 1850 and then the marriage of Beletje van Weeren and Phlip Baars in 1851.
All three are being recognized but not only by Philip but by both Phlip and Beletje at their marriage. Appropriate notifications were made afterwards in the birthcertificate of the three children.
Philip could have done this easier by just simple addopting them, but they didn't, the specifically stated that Elias, Lida and Samuel are their children.

For the fun of it:
I have looked at the give name of the first child, Elias. There is no Elias in Beletjes family.
Elias is taken from the prophet Elia. Elia's only task in this world was to lead the Jewish people back to their Father, Jaweh. Think of it what you want  ::)

Then there is something else. At the age of nine Elias is (suddenly?) confronted with the marriage of his mother tot Philip Baars. I can imagine that this would lead to conflicts, but did it?
I don't think so because at a later stage we see that Elias takes his fathers name Philip as his middle name.

So is it possible that Phlip is the father of Elias, Lida and Samuel? You tell me.....

Dauro...

Offline smith923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Dauro.  I really like your reasoning and your theory. After reading the document , it really sounds to me like Philip is at last acknowledging his children. I really do think that Philip is the father. It just feels right. At least I hope he wad

Offline smith923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
It has been over a month since a first posted my request for help with the family name of Barss. This resulted in some very detailed information that I have managed to build on. I am very grateful to Dauro for sending me some very helpful Dutch records which I have used to build a detailed family tree relating to my great great grandfather Elias Philip Barss.

The Dutch records are very detailed but there are quite a few inconsistencies.
Elias's father is shown to be Philip Asser Baars, born 9th Oct 1809.

Philip's parents are shown to be Asser Leendert Baars, born ca 1747, and Jansje Andries Naarden, born ca 1750.  Philip is the oldest of 5 children.  If he was born in 1809 , his mother would have to have been 59 years old when she gave birth.  Is this even possible ?  It seems unlikely.

I have since checked different records and also other peoples family trees, and these dates all appear to be the same.  So what is going on ?  Are the records wrong ?

To further confuse things,  Philip came to England around 1862 with his wife Beletje Salomon ( Van Weeren ), and their 6 children, Elias, Alida, Samuel, Asser, Nancy and Clara. 

I have an England 1871 census which shows Philip's mother living with them and her name is shown as Car Baars ???  She is 82 years old, born 1789. ( 39 years later that Jansje Andries Naarden. )

Is this the wrong census record ?  All the other names and dates fit.  Something is definitely wrong.  Can't find any travel records showing the Baars family coming to England.

Can anyone elaborate on these records ?

Thanks.