Author Topic: info needed on Mollance & Queenshill  (Read 32324 times)

Offline Remlap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: info needed on Mollance & Queenshill
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 March 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
My daughter came across this chat room by accident and has forwarded it to me, since I believe I may have answers to many of the questions asked. I've done considerable research on the Neilson family-- (James Beaumont Neilson was my great great grandfather. My mother lived in Mollance for 5 years, my aunt in Barcaple). I corresponded and exchanged info with the Brigadier. If I can be of help to anyone, let me know.  Stew

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Patersons parents would be good, Stew  ....   :)

But anything in relation to these two properties would be good.

A branch believes they stayed in Mollance in the 1870s, but they must have meant Queenshill.

Strange, they BOTH burnt down   .....   :o

Would have loved to have talked to the Brig, he knew so many of my non Neilson relatives as well   .............   :'(

Offline Remlap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 April 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
Mollance built about 1736. 24 rooms, 190 acres. Destroyed by fire in 1928. Also, Gardeners house(4 rooms),Stableyard(4 rms),Northlodge(2 rms). Farms belonging to Mollance:- Dryburgh(303 acres), Fordhouse(111 acres).I visited in 1995. Little remains. Mansion dismantled to sell the stones.

Queenshill 27 rooms. Destroyed by fire in 1890. Additional bldgs:- Gamekeepers house(3 rms), Gardeners house(2 rms), High Lodge(2 rms), Lodge(2 rms), Cottage(6rms). Farms belonging to Queenshill:- Culquha(308 acres), Crumwhill(126), Barstobrick(603), Valleyfield(265), Lockhill(238). Also, Felland Backfell, Greenhill, Fellnaw, Largs (acreages unknown). I visited in 1995. Guest cottages under construction. A beautiful setting.
Sorry, no info on the Patersons.

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 April 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Excellent, thanks Stew ..  :)

yeah, Thomas is proving a right pain, have located his will for a 1874 death, but can find NO registration in the records.

Paterson Thomas  05/11/1874  Capt,  of Bothwell Bank Cottage presently residing at Kenmure near Glasgow, spouse of Marion Neilson. 

:(

Offline Ringford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 July 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
Re. Mollance and Queenshill and the Neilson family; our village hall in Ringford was erected by James Beaumont Neilson in 1861 and we will be celebrating it's 150th anniversary next year with a local history exhibition organised by the hall committee. A copy of the Neilson family tree or any other information of any kind would be most useful, can you help please? 

Offline Ringford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 July 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
Have today received by post from Remlap copies of 'photos and other historical documents relating to the Neilson family which will go into the Ringford Hall 150th Anniversary Exhibition. Thank you so very much Stew, your time and interest is much appreciated.
If anyone else out there has/knows anything historical relating to Ringford or Tongland please let me know, thank you.

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
Queens hill The Ice house is still there aswell as the walls belonging to the walled garden and what looks like an old farm house and buildings but as someone already stated there are holiday cottages there now . I spent a week there last summer.I think that the family are buried in Tongland church yard and that there are Busts of the family in a fenced off area 
McCcoskry, Coskry,Copland, Rigg, McGinn,Agnew,Crone, Sw/Scotland
Kirkcudbrghtshire , Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshire

Jack,Connell
Wynne, Derby,McFadyen,Dunbar
Glasgow and surrounding areas
Rasche Johnston,
Dundee, Dingwall,Perthshire Carlisle , Ireland, Germany
Weale  , Hall
Much Wenlock and surrounding area Shropshire

Offline Jinny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 November 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Sorry to add to an already-long thread!

Some of my ancestors were servants at Queenshill during the nineteenth century: Mary Johnstone, (1828-1883) who was a house servant (apparently) from the 1830s until her death, and Mary's sister Agnes McGeorge (originally Agnes Campbell Johnstone, later Agnes Hay) (1834-1912) who is shown at Queenshill in the 1861 Census.
The Johnstone family lived at Leggatecheek, (from at least the 1830s - 1880s) a house in Ringford. I don't know if this house was part of the Queenshill Estate or not; their father, Thomas Johnstone, (d 1856) was a cooper and dyer by trade.
Mary and Agnes's sister Jane (Jean) married the farmer at Greenhill - another nearby farm.
I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of where I might find out more about this family (I did wonder if there would be papers from Queenshill, but as the house burnt down, I suspect not?) Or would be happy to share any information about 'my' Johnstone family if it would be of use to anyone!

Many thanks

Helen
Carlyle, Gardner, Horn, Johnstone, Livingstone: Dumfries/Kirkcudbright/Edinburgh/Fife/Glasgow/
Belfast

Offline Ringford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 November 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,
The saga continues!
Have a look at Ancestry.co.uk for details about Thomas Johnstone - he was born about 1776 in Kirkcudbrightshire/died 1856 in Tongland, Kirkcudbrightshire (Ringford village is within the parish of Tongland.)
You will also find more info. there about his three daughters and their families.
Leggatcheek is still standing and lived in and certainly at one time was an estate house for Queenshill - Hope this helps you, Sue.