Author Topic: David Ebenezer Morgan  (Read 6704 times)

Offline aussie-girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Ebenezer Morgan
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 November 13 04:55 GMT (UK) »
The parents mentioned on the marraige of David &Elizabeth are not correct.
Elizabeth's birth extract shows her mother as Rosina Rose nee Viner , Father Harry Rose .

She married as a Viner as on the 1871 Census. James Viner was her grandfather. a master painter.
I suspect Rosina was a single mother..

So as to David's father being named as David , who knows if this is correct.!!!
Kind Regards
Patricia

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 November 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Two things ...

You having info does not help anyone to help. They need the info too.

Even if info on a marriage certificate is false, it is important to know what it is. In Elizabeth's case, for instance, it establishes a connection with her maternal family. For all we know, the same could be true in David's case. (In my own family's case, while the father named on my gr-grfather's marriage certificate had the entirely false surname the son had adopted, the son did state the correct given name of the father of the person I had identified as being my gr-grfather before that marriage, giving me one more piece of evidence to support that finding. In simpler terms, my gr-grfather married as, say, Ed Smith, and named his father as Fred Smith. I had figured out that my gr-grfather was really Ed Brown, whose father was Fred Brown. False information can be crucial information!)

Withholding info just doesn't make sense.

I think the Morgan Morris hypothesis is quite worth pursuing, as it may be that the senior David was the child of unmarried parents and was using his father's surname Morgan as his middle name, or had tacked his father's surname Morris onto his mother's surname, and in whatever way, it ended up as just Morgan. The Morris-Newell marriage certificate would be something to consider, for more info. Of course that David was barely older than the David 'Morgans' I suggested, but again, boys did enrol in the military at a young age in non-combatant roles, and did lie about their ages.

When someone is as missing as your David Ebenezer Morgan is, it makes much sense to consider other options for his identity rather than keep looking for him under a name that might not have been his original name.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline aussie-girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 December 13 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I take on board your comments ,Janey.
I sent for a copy of the birth certificate.of David ,with parents David & martha. about 2 years ago.;

I found 1851 census, but nothing after that.
Any suggestions after that appreciated.
Many Thanks
Patricia