Author Topic: Pentland of Tullylish  (Read 4644 times)

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pentland of Tullylish
« on: Thursday 28 November 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I came across a gardener, John Pentland, who lived most of his life in Westmorland but originally he haled from Tullylish in Ireland according to his entry in the 1911 census. His wife, Chirtina had a child Sefton in 1889 which points very firmly to his parents being Robert Pentland and Esther Sefton, particularly since they married in 1850 and he is claimed to have been born in August 1851.

The problem with that, so obvious, connection is that there is a counter-claim that Joseph George Pentland was born to these parents in January 1851 and went on to live a well documented life in England but not as a gardener and not in Westmorland.

It is possible one or both of the birth dates is incorrect as I have seen proof of neither. It is also possible John and Joseph George were twins. There is a third possibility, that one of them was descended from a sibling of Robert, John but he would have been only about seventeen when the younger son was born. There is another explanation. That Esther had a son prior to marrying Robert Pentland. His use of his mother's maiden name would then have an even greater relevance.

I'd be grateful for any further information which might shine light on this mystery.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland of Tullylish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 November 13 09:15 GMT (UK) »
My first thought was to check if there are baptismal records for any children of Robert & Esther (or other Pentlands) which would give an indication of parents and date of birth (or at least baptism date).

However, I google the names of Eobert Pentland & Esther Sefton and came across this topic on another forum-
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=10178&p=localities.britisles.ireland.arm.general

The Will of Robert Pentland (mentioned in the above thread and covering 3 pages) is online- "Probate of the Will of Robert Pentland late of Mullabrack County Down Farmer who died 6 September 1897 granted at Belfast to George Clarke of Terryhogan County Armagh Farmer and Ann Pentland of Mullabrack Widow." and mentions son Joseph, etc.
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 November 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   In 1868 George Pentland was born to Robert Pentland and Essy Sifton (sic) and the birth was registered in Banbridge. Is it likely that they would have named two sons George?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 December 13 17:48 GMT (UK) »

from Ros Davies Co Down website, among others e.g.
George   PENTLAND   .   Seapatrick   regd. Banbridge; husband of Catherine Campbell; father of George b. 12 Jun 1869 & William b. 18 Feb 1872   CR
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
My first thought was to check if there are baptismal records for any children of Robert & Esther (or other Pentlands) which would give an indication of parents and date of birth (or at least baptism date).

However, I google the names of Eobert Pentland & Esther Sefton and came across this topic on another forum-
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=10178&p=localities.britisles.ireland.arm.general

The Will of Robert Pentland (mentioned in the above thread and covering 3 pages) is online- "Probate of the Will of Robert Pentland late of Mullabrack County Down Farmer who died 6 September 1897 granted at Belfast to George Clarke of Terryhogan County Armagh Farmer and Ann Pentland of Mullabrack Widow." and mentions son Joseph, etc.
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

The notes I have suggest that Robert Pentland, bap 3 jun 1827, Tullylish, Down, son of John (and Hester) married for the first time to Anna McClelland Beatty. ( have no dates for their marriage.   I believe this is the same Robert who died 6 sep 1897, Mullaghbrack.)

I also have a record for a Robert Pentland, had a wiife, Esther Sefton, married 4 oct 1850, Tullylish, Witnesses were William Sefton, and Francis Jones.  Robert was from Mullaghbrack, and Essy was from Clare.  Robert and Esther were having children at least through Jul 1868, when there is a record for the birth of their son, George Pentland, b. 11 jul 1868, Banbridge, Seapatrick.

If this is the same Robert who married Ann McClelland Beatty, it likely took place after 1868.

They had six children. 
Joseph Pentland, b. 13 jan 1884, Armagh
John Pentland, b. 19 sep 1885, Lurgan, Armagh (some idea that his full name could be Sefton John Pentland - based on the death record of his wife Christina).
Rebecca Pentland, b. 6 may 1887, Lurgan
Alice Pentland, b. 11 dec 1888, Lurgan
Evelene/Eveline Pentland, b. 26 jul 1892, Armagh
Robert Pentland, b. 6 jan 1896, Armagh

Here is a census record for the above John and his wife Christina Miller
1891 Census, England, Yorkshire
John Pentland, b. 1853, age 38, b. Ireland, gardener
Christiana Pentland, b. 1859, 32, b Worcestershire
Christine Pentland, b. 1885, age 6, b Hampshire
Sefton Pentland, b. 1889, age 2, b. Hampshire

There is record Sefton Pentland, b. jul-sep 1888, New Forest, Hampshire, England.

Sefton Pentland can be found in the 1916 Canada Census, Medicine Hat, Alberta
Sefton Pentland, 26, b. England, English, farmer
Joanah Pentland, 24, b. USA, Norwegian

1921 Canada Census
Sefton Pentland, 33, b. England, parents b. England, emig 1910, farmer
Joehna Pentland, 33, b. USA, parents b. Norway, b. 1910

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
If this is the same Robert who married Ann McClelland Beatty, it likely took place after 1868.
What took place after 1868?

And who do the six children born 1884-1896 belong to?

Probate of the Will of Robert Pentland late of Mullabrack County Down Farmer who died 6 September 1897 granted at Belfast to George Clarke of Terryhogan County Armagh Farmer and Ann Pentland of Mullabrack Widow. Effects £83 10s.
Will of Robert Pentland mentions wife Ann, son Joseph, six other sons (William, Moses, Valentine, Francis, Thomas, John).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
Probate of the Will of Joseph Pentland late of Mullabrack County Down Farmer who died 10 September 1903 granted at Belfast to James Acheson Farmer. Effects £70 10s.
Will mentions wife Sarah.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Tullyish/Mullabrack/1204668 Joseph Pentland, wife Sarah, brother Francis, etc.)
Widow Sarah with nephew William-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Tullylish/Mullabrack/213437

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
The notes I have suggest that Robert Pentland, bap 3 jun 1827, Tullylish, Down, son of John (and Hester) married for the first time to Anna McClelland Beatty. ( have no dates for their marriage.   I believe this is the same Robert who died 6 sep 1897, Mullaghbrack.)

Marriage of Robert Pentland to Anne (McClelland) Beatty says he's a widower-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1880/11023/8030782.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
Making less and less sense  :-\

They had six children. 
Joseph Pentland, b. 13 jan 1884, Armagh

Joseph Pentland born 13 Jan.1884 Lurgan to Moses Pentland & Rebecca Montgmery-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1884/02706/1996428.pdf