Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Henry Layton hit by a train  (Read 5883 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Layton hit by a train
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 December 13 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if you see it all laid out in chronological order it will help. This is compiled from information provided to you from this and other threads plus a little extra:

Passenger List:  Isabella departed from Bristol and arrived in New York on 5 Jun 1833: Wm Layton (29, farmer), Elizabeth (20), Charlotte (2), Edward (4), Henry (22) and John (20).

Marriage: Bella Layton, daughter of William and Elizabeth Layton married Miles Ogden on 13 Apr 1858 in Clarke Twp, Durham County.

1861 Canada census: Listed as family members in an entry in Clarke Twp, Durham County:

Miles Ogden, farmer, married, born Upper Canada, 22
Isabella Ogden, married, born Upper Canada, 21
Elizabeth Layton, widow, born England, 54
Charlotte Layton, single, born England, 28
Edwin Layton, farmer, single, born England, 26
Jabis Layton, farmer, single, born Upper Canada, 24
William Layton, single, born Upper Canada, 19

Marriage: William Layton married Jane Anderson on 22 Feb 1866 in Clarke Twp, Durham County.

1871 Canada census: Listed in Clarke Twp, Durham County:

In Division 4, Miles and Bella Ogden with children:  Elizabeth, Mary, Melissa, Western and Wellington(?). In Division 3, William and Jane Layton with children: Elizabeth, Jane, Margret and Henry. On the same page in Division 3, Elizabeth Layton (64, widow) with Charlotte (40), Edwin (38, farmer) and Jabesh (35, farmer).

Marriage: Jabez Layton, son of William and Elizabeth Layton married Maria Harriss on 7 Jan 1873 in Bowmanville, Durham County.

Death: Maria/Mariah Layton (nee Harris) died 6 Apr 1874 in Clarke Twp, Durham County.

1881 Canada census : Listed in Clarke Twp, Durham County:

Edwin Layton (48, farmer), Jabesh Layton (45, farmer, widower), Charlotte Layton (50) and Jabesh Layton (7). Listed immediately after are William (39, farmer) and Jane (33) with their children: Elisabeth (15), Jane (14), Margret (12), Henry (10), Ellen (8 ), Anna (7), William (4) and Harriet (1).

Miles and Bella Ogden and children are in Port Hope, Durham County on the 1881 census.

Death: Miles Ogden died 27 May 1887 in Toronto, York County.

1891 Canada census: Listed in Clarke Twp, Durham County:

William   (49, farmer) and Jane (44) Layton with their children: Jennie (23), Henry (21), Ella (18), Annie (17), William (14), Hattie (11) and Alice (4). Immediately following after are Edward (58, farmer), Charlotte (60), Jabez (55, widower, farmer) and Henry (17).

Death: Jabez Layton, son of Jabez and Maria Layton, died 14 Feb 1898 in Clarke Twp, Durham County.
Death: Edwin Layton died 22 Jan 1899 in Clarke Twp, Durham County.

1901 Canada census: Listed in Clarke Twp, Durham County:

Jabez Layton (66, born 18? May 1834, farmer, widower), Charlotte Layton (70, 28 Aug 1830), William A. Layton (24, born 23 Dec 1876, nephew, labourer) and Bella Ogden (63, born 12? ? 1837). Listed immediately after are William (59, born 5 Aug 1841, farmer) and Jane (53, born 10 Nov 1847) Layton with their children: Henry U (30, born 26 May 1870), Ella (27, born 2 Oct 1873), Alice (14, born 3 Feb 1887), Eva L. (22, born 21 Feb 1879, daughter in law), Mary J. (1, born 23 Oct 1900, granddaughter).

Death: Henry Layton died 23 Jun 1901 at the age of 32 in Darlington, Durham County.
Death: Jabez/Jabesh Layton died 17 Nov 1904 in Clarke Twp, Durham County.

1911 Canada census: Listed in Clarke Twp, Durham County:

William (69, born Aug  1841, farmer) and Jane (63, born Nov 1847) Layton with daughter Ella (36, born Oct 1874), Delbert (6, born Oct 1904, grandson), Bella Ogden (73, born Nov 1837) and Charlotte Layton (80, born Aug 1830).

Death: William Layton born 5 Aug 1841 and died 4 Jan 1912 with parents listed as William Layton and Elizabeth Caswell, both born England.
Death: Charlotte Layton died 12 Dec 1916 in Clarke Twp, Durham County.
Death: Jane Anderson Layton died 9 May 1920 in Bowmanville, Durham County.

1921 Canada census: Listed in Toronto – Ward 2, Bella Ogden (84, widow, lodger).

Death: Isabella Ogden, daughter of William Layton, died 26 Oct 1928 in Toronto, York County.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 December 13 10:00 GMT (UK) »
OH my !  and WOW !   You are so generous and so very helpful in responding as you do to my queries.    Thank you so much Jacquie for going to so much trouble to type out all the acquired information.   I have been attempting to do that.  I always type up the census / marriage / death etc details, print it off and can then put it out in front of me to see all the connections and progressions etc.   I will print off the information you have put together.

It is quite worrying just how easy it is to make mistakes - as you have shown in my reading of the death entry for Edwin/Edward.  It makes me doubt myself let alone doubting the transcriptions and mistakes made at the time in writing down the details  !

Thank you again
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 December 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Don't be too hard on yourself. The form used around the time of Edwin's death wasn't the best. If there had been lines separating entries it would be easier to read and easier for the entries to have been written.

If you are having problems with the census don't forget there is a description of what each column is for at the top. If the form is difficult to read you can view census forms at Ancestry at this link:
http://www.ancestry.ca/download/Forms#canadacensus
There are census forms for the US and UK there also as well as other forms to help with organizing written information.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz