Author Topic: Method for dealing with silvering and reflection?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Method for dealing with silvering and reflection?
« on: Thursday 28 November 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone. I use Photoshop professionally in art, and also to restore old photos. I wonder is there a recommended technique or scanning procedure to cut down reflection in damaged images (other than pushing down very hard on the scanner)? Photos with cracks and creases often have a tendency to buckle slightly, reflect on one side of the damage and have a slight shadow the other side. Thus even if you clone-repair the damaged area you're left with a slight difference in tone on either side of the crack.

Also (this is a tough one) is there a way to counter the 'silvering' reaction on darker tones? I've a few images which have no scratch damage at all but are almost ruined by silvering. What, if anything, can be done?
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Method for dealing with silvering and reflection?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 November 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi...Place a piece of stiff card over your photo when scanning...also...when restoring...you can colour pick from the best tone in the photo and paint over it... then the burn tool to darken the silvered part of it....you can also try the function.."Remove Colour Cast"

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 November 13 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Excellent Carol, Thank you very much, I'll try this!

John
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline Warin

• RootsChat Member
  • VJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 December 13 04:58 GMT (UK) »
If you are using a camera (rather than a scanner) then a polarizing filter should help. (Thought of this after taking some 250+ photos  :-[ )
Long (Ireland), Mogg (OZ + Ireland), Warner (England)