Author Topic: A History of Britain in Numbers  (Read 503 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
A History of Britain in Numbers
« on: Saturday 30 November 13 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Anyone else been listening to this? It gives some interesting insights into the land our ancestors lived in.

Currently available for download from the Radio 4 website. It says "Available indefinitely".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: A History of Britain in Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 December 13 11:04 GMT (UK) »
That sounds interesting, I think this is the link to it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03k5dvd

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 December 13 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, I've just downloaded the podcast and listened to the first episode.  Very interesting indeed.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
It is interesting. I've managed to catch a few.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 December 13 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

This does look really interesting.Many thanks for pointing it out.   I need to find the time to listen! In a similar vein I was listening to the radio the other day and they were speaking about this book called 'Alphabetical', which did sound v. interesting as well.   

https://www.hodder.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781848548862

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 December 13 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I've been following this series. I haven't caught them all but each one has been a listening gem.
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"