Author Topic: Baptism of Eleanor Hoggarth/Garnett  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Baptism of Eleanor Hoggarth/Garnett
« on: Saturday 30 November 13 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the baptism of my mother, born Eleanor Hoggarth in March 1901 a few days before the census,  in Ellel, near Forton Lancashire. She was the youngest of 7 children.

According to the school records her brothers and sisters left Forton school at Easter which was in early April that year, so presume they moved around that time, to Moor Green farm, Whitbeck in Cumberland. There may not have been time to have her baptised before they moved.

In 1903 her father Lancelot Hoggarth died of pneumonia aged 47, in Whitbeck, he had been ill for a month. It must have been a very traumatic time for the family as her grandfather, another Lancelot Hoggarth, died aged 77 just 3 days before his son.

At some stage my mother was 'adopted' by John Bargh Garnett and his wife Ann Elizabeth who were members of the family. She next appears on the 1911 census as Eleanor Garnett adopted daughter of John and Ann, living in Leck near Kirkby Lonsdale.  She may have been adopted soon after birth or perhaps when her father died. I don't know where or when she was baptised and if it was as Eleanor Hoggarth or Eleanor Garnett.  If I can find a baptism it may help show when she was adopted. Incidentally on her Marriage and death certificates, she is shown as Eleanor Hoggarth.
I would be glad of any help. Thankyou

Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Eleanor Hoggarth/Garnett
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 December 13 01:04 GMT (UK) »
There was no formal adoption until after the Adoption Act 1926
Probably Eleanor was just referred to as an adopted daughter but was never formally adopted -which is why she would keep her birth name at marriage  - this is not uncommon

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 December 13 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Her Birth is Reg as Eleanor Hoggarth, March 1901, Lancaster, 8e 704

I cant find any of the Childrens Baptisms/Christenings on Familysearch/FreeREG/Lancs OPC.
They may have been non-conformists
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 December 13 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk has

Eleanor HOGGARTH in 1901 in Ellel  mmn  ORMROD  ref  ELL/16/4

Heather

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 December 13 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where they were married in 1885?

Launcelot Hoggarth and Sarah Jane Ormrod Jul-Aug-Sep Kendal Westmorland.

Perhaps they used the same church for christenings.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 December 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
They are the correct parents, Heather, very easy to follow, Lancelot around, Kendal, Westmorland, Cartmel, Lancashire,  etc,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 December 13 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff
I just thought that the children might have been christened at the church where the parents were married. I can see the family in the census.
Heather

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 December 13 15:47 GMT (UK) »
 :'(
There are plenty of Hoggarth records, non conformist  on family search org, but a visit to Kendal archives would possibly  uncover more details,

here are a few tit bits, to keep the poster happy, this family spans, Lancashire , Westmorland, there is a fine county line,

Heversham,
May 9th 1885,
on the 5th inst
married by the Rev S M Gilbert,
Adam Cottam, of Dalton - In - Furness,
son of the late Henry Cottom of Foulshaw,
To Jennie, youngest daughter of Lancelot Hoggarth , of Milton More , Milnthorpe,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 December 13 15:55 GMT (UK) »
A young female farm servant employed by Father Lancelot was , shot in the eye by a young man, while larking around at Milton Moor farm in 1891, a bit gory , so I wont put any more on here,