Author Topic: Found him in a pow camp but nothing else, + fake medals  (Read 14578 times)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found him in a pow camp but nothing else, + fake medals
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 October 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
G'day,

Myself and my brothers were looking to restore and frame our grandfathers ww2 medals to give to our father as a gift. He was a british soldier. The medals are fake and have no idea why!!
There are 7 medals in total -
1. 1939-1945 star
2. Africa star
3. Italy star
4. Defence medal
5. War medal
6. Military medal for bravery in the field
7. Distinguished conduct medal.

His name is Ronald Edwin Townsend and I found the details of the POW camp he was held in at stalag IV-C in ancestry but from there cannot get any information on enlistment, medals or any other details. Frustrating!

Does anyone know where i can get more info. I'm certainly not going to frame medals whichhe didnt actually get. Also, he said a while ago before he passed away that he put his age up when he signed up. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Thanks

I'm not sure if you're still subscribed or not but if you are then you might find this helpful:

Since your grandfather served in WWII, he would have been entitled to medals 1 and 5 after six months service and was serving at the end of the war.  Whether they are fake or not, he was entitled to them.  My great uncle was entitled to both these as well.

The criteria for the 39-45 Star was:

The 1939 to 1945 Star was awarded for any period of operational service overseas between 3 September 1939 and 8 May 1945 (2 September 1945 in the Far East).

The criteria for the War Medal was:

The War Medal was awarded to all full time personnel of the armed forces wherever they were serving, provided they had served for at least 28 days between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945.

The criteria for the Defence Medal (#4 in your list) doesn't seem to fit with the two above:

The Defence Medal was awarded for non operational service. This type of service in the UK included those service personnel working in headquarters, on training bases and airfields and members of the Home Guard. Home Guard service counts between the dates of 14 May 1940 and 31 December 1944. The Defence Medal was also awarded for non operational service overseas, for example in India or South Africa.

The criteria for the Africa Star was:

Star awarded for 1 or more days’ service in North Africa, Malta or Egypt between the above dates.

The qualifying areas for the Africa Star also include the earlier areas of conflict against the Italians in East Africa; those serving in Abyssinia, Sudan, Eritrea, Kenya or Somaliland between certain other specified dates will also qualify.

The criteria for the Italy Star was:

Star awarded for 1 or more days’ service in Sicily or Italy between the above dates (1943-1945) relevant to each campaign.

Those serving in Yugoslavia, Greece, Corsica or Sardinia between certain other specified dates will also qualify.

This information is from:
https://www.gov.uk/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility#page-navigation

I would suggest you apply for your grandfather's service record because that will tell you what medals he was entitled to as well as where he served.  It'll cost you £30 but worth it.

My great uncle's medals were issued but have disappeared, believed stolen.  It can't be proved so any replacements would have to be purchased from a reputable dealer.