Author Topic: "Complexion" in victorian Jamaica  (Read 541 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
"Complexion" in victorian Jamaica
« on: Sunday 01 December 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at a baptismal register from Jamaica in the 1870's. The complexion of the babies is listed, amongst other attributes; I hope I am not going to offend anyone by listing them as they contain descriptors which we certainly would not use today:

Black; Brown; Coloured; Fair; Sambo

These are all on the same page and I wonder if anyone could enlighten me as to the difference (as the victorians saw it!) between Brown, Coloured and Sambo? (By the way, the minister's own child was apparently "coloured").

I realise that this is a sensitive topic for some; my interest here is purely historical, and I'd be grateful if this query could be taken in the academic spirit in which it is intended (although RCers always seem very moderate reasonable folk!)

Thank you.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: "Complexion" in victorian Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 December 13 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Annie,

As you have mentioned this could be a sensitive subject for some, so I'm going to lock the topic and ask that people contact you by Personal Message if they are able to enlighten you.

Trystan
RootsChat Caretaker
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.