Author Topic: O'Kane family Formil, Glenullin  (Read 17203 times)

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
Re: O'Kane family Formil, Glenullin
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
What book is that aghadowey????
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Garvagh & Aghadowey Heroes 1914-1918 by Robert Thompson - the Lennon Wylie site got permission to post information from the book but copies are still available- PM me for more details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline agnesK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 January 15 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Im new to this and came across this by accident. My husband is the grandson of Daniel the king Okane from formil. I am looking for information regarding Michael [daniels son] brn1913. we would like to know more about his life up to 1946 when he came to Scotland. I have information kindly given to us by another member of this family regarding his brothers and sisters but we don't know anything about his life in Ireland any information or old photos of Michael would be great. thanks

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 January 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi AgnesK and welcome to rootschat.

My ggrandmother Elizabeth O'Kane was a sister of Patrick, the King of Formil's father. That would mean that your husband and I share gg grandparents...Daniel and Margaret O'Kane.
Unfortunately I can't help with information about Michael.

Regards,

Mary

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline agnesK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 January 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
thankyou for the link mary I have already been in touch with this lady she gave me a lot of information regarding michaels family. Could I ask if you have any dates regarding Patricks father and mother Daniel and Margaret or any other information regarding them. Michael came to Scotland in 1946 he would have been in his 30s.  His travel card was c/o sarah Cassidy garvaugh. We know nothing of his time in Ireland. thanks Agnes

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 January 15 19:17 GMT (UK) »
The familysearch site has a record of the letters of administration of the personal estate of Patrick Kane late of Formil, County Londonderry, Farmer, who died 7 March 1890 at Brockaghbuoy, granted at Londonderry to Ellen Kane of Formil the Widow. if you look in PRONI there is an image of the original of the same will but of Richard Kane. This appears to be a mistake because, in it, Richard talks about his wife Mary.In the familysearch photo of the records, Richard is listed directly underneath Patrick. Familysearch have the record of the death of a Patrick in 1890 aged 65 so born around 1825.

Patrick was one of the O'Kane family nicknamed Dunany. a number of us have been researching this family for years!

We know from a  family source that Mary O'Kane was one of the siblings. From another family source we know that Catherine was another sister.She is listed in the Irish Old Age Pension records as applying for a pension on 12 Jan 1909 and listing her age as 75. She said that her parents were Daniel and Peggy O’Kane of Formil. She was found listed in the 1841 census as age 8

The Irish Old Age Pension Record also lists Manus O'Kane  who claimed to be 74. He also said his parents were Daniel and Peggy O’Kane of Formil. He was 6 in 1841. In the valuation revision books on PRONI  Manus is found on lot 12 in Coolcoscreaghan.In the 1860-63 records he is listed as Manus O’Kane ( Pat, Dan )....meaning the lot was Patrick's then Dan's then Manus's. If this is the same Manus then it could be that his grandfather's name was Patrick.

Another sibling James, was unmarried and lived in Formil with his nephew Dan the King...
Residents of a house 2 in Formil (Gelvin, Londonderry) http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Gelvin/Formil/1524396/

My ggrandmother Elizabeth was another sister...the 7th daughter of Daniel of Formil according to a notice of her marriage on 2th December 1858 in the Belfast Morning News of the 7/12/1858.

We haven't found all the 7 (at least) sisters.There was Ellen and Margaret

Offline agnesK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 January 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
 thanks again for this info. it seems that Daniel the king named nearly all his daughters after his aunts [patricks sisters] if it wasn't for the dates I would have thought it was michaels sisters. It can be quite confusing but I think Im getting my head round it. Would still love to find out more about Michael. have I read somewhere that the next Irish census is coming out early or am I mistaken. That would maybe help in my search about Michael. Thanks again for your help.  agnes

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 January 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
No census was taken in 1921, because of the War of Independence. The first census of the Irish Free State was taken in 1926 butunfortunately it won't be released until 2027.