Author Topic: Burial Records  (Read 725 times)

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Records
« on: Wednesday 04 December 13 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am searching for the Burial place of my 10th Great Grandfather, William Harris, born 1536 and died 1599 in Hatherup, Glouschestershire, England.  I have been searching for months. The websites are either blocked to the USA or want a fee.  I have a portion of his will that states as follows:

"His will, dated October 1, 1598, was proved November 8, 1599, by his widow and executrix, Agnes Harris. After directing that he be buried in the church or churchyard of Hatherup...."

Is that St Nicholas? I read that a Church Parish was built at Hatherup Castle in the 14th Century and rebuilt in the 1800's but i believe that is now a school and I couldnt find any burial records. Any help or advice anyone can give me would be deeply aprreciated. I know I will probably never find a burial marker. I just want to know where he is buried. Sincere thanks for taking the time to read this,
Marjorie
Interested in Harris Geneology

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 December 13 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marjorie,
Welcome to RootsChat.
I am a regular visitor to Glos Archives where the St Nicholas, Hatherop parish records are held and will do a lookup for the burial of William HARRIS circa 1599.
Meanwhile, the following may be of interest.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1914
HATHEROP
The church, St Nicholas, rebuilt in 1835, is an edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a central tower containing 6 bells, the gift of Sir John WEBB bart in 1715, and a clock with chimes, presented by Sir Thomas S. BAZLEY bart. in 1868: there are 20 stained windows, and attached to the church is a beautiful mortuary chapel, with a marble monument, by Monti, to Barbara, Lady de Mauley who died 5th of June, 1814, erected by her husband, William F. Spencer PONSONBY, first Lord de Manley, who also restored the church about 1850, and died 16th May, 1855: the carved font was the gift, in 1856, of William LONGBOURNE esq. in memory of the same Baron de Mauley: the communion plate includes a chalice, dated 1599: there are sittings for 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1578.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 December 13 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Victor,
   I don't know how to Thank You.  I spent 6 hours today on the Gloucestershire Archives site that i was sent when i wrote to them.  I couldn't find any records. I don't think their online records are complete for there should have been at least one Harris in all of Gloucestershire that died within a large range of years. Perhaps i just don't know how to do it correctly. I sent them the clip of his will though and this is where they identified the church in their reply:
The Church is called the church of St Nicholas in the parish of Hatherop, in the Diocese of Gloucester. The postal address is Hatherop, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 3NB .
 Again, Thank you so very much.
Marjorie

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 December 13 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marjorie,
I have checked the microfiche, film and Bishops Transcripts (BTs), but unfortunately these were transcribed in 1920 and the years 1579-1612 are missing. There is no sign of the original parish records (PRs).
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 December 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello

According to the survey of Hatherop Memorial Inscriptions carried out by Ralph Bigland in the 1780s "The Register commences in 1657 and it is said that the preceding Notices were destroyed.".  The earliest year date I could find recorded on a headstone was 1657.

Keziah
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 December 13 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Victor,
  Thank you very much for going to so much trouble to find the records for me. I deeply appreciate it. Maybe his probate Will can be enough proof.  I wonder what happened to them,,,a fire maybe? Another mystery.
Thank you again,
Marjorie

Offline MLHarris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 December 13 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Keziah,
  Thank you very much for looking into my Ancestors burial records for me. It was very nice of you to take the time to help.
Marjorie