Author Topic: Austria-Hungary Search for the missing Wizniuk families  (Read 775 times)

Offline Snowdiamond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Austria-Hungary Search for the missing Wizniuk families
« on: Thursday 05 December 13 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can refer to a useful site for search or a chat forum for this area. Wizniuks emigrated via Hamburg port to Canada in 1899. Unfortunately we have not been able to trace back farther than this. We have a Hyhor Wizniuk married to Yelena/Yeleanna Malofy/Maolfy (little for clarity sorry). Hyhor may possibly been Hyhori or similar but his passport info shows Hyhor as the first name. Also states villiage of Juhznetz, district of Kotzman, Chernvsti Oblast and that he is of Austrian Hungarian rule under Stephan I. 

We have found a nearby village (largely a hasidic dynasty) called Wiznitz and also located a river thereby known as the Wizniuk river. The village of Wiznitz looks to be about 20-30 miles from Juhznets but the geographical namings of that time seem too coincidental to overlook.

Any help on even where to begin searching would be great, and have started looking through records with JewishGen.org and also beginning in Chernvsti, Ukraine. However records seem shuffled around for that area and time. I thought I had seen an area or other boards someplace connected with rootschat for Austria or Galician/Bukowina but cant find it now. Thanks

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Austria-Hungary Search for the missing Wizniuk families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 December 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »
http://en.geneanet.org/search/?name=wiznuik&ressource=autres

do the 2 names on the left on this link mean anything to you ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ace-interpreter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 December 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Kotzman, it is Kitzman now. it is possible to search info in Chernivtsi state archive.

Offline ace-interpreter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 December 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
i will be in Chernivtsi archive and if you want i can look for you.
you can write me to
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.