Author Topic: Thomas Saunders look uo request please.  (Read 1699 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Saunders look uo request please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 January 14 07:14 GMT (UK) »
You can get the CD from here: http://www.ofhs.org.uk/CDsales.html

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 January 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Space cookie

I am sorry I missed your reply on 9 Dec but one small piece of advice just find the reply tab at the lower end of your screen rather than keep using the quote icon in a message. It helps when following threads.

Supermoussie refers you to the Oxfordshire Family History Society web site where they retail the CD's for all of the Parish Records they have transcribed for Oxfordshire. They are a fantastic resource and I could not do what I do without them here in the office, but at circa £17.00 each, you have to be selective about which ones to initially buy and as I was saying to Supermoussi the other day I have nearly got the whole set. That takes time and of course money.
So I would recommend you decide which you may get the most from and then purchase that CD for the area/s of Oxfordshire where you have the most interest.
Then you can use this site to ask about those other parts of the county until you decide you need to buy other CD's.
As you can see from your initial post on here I had to use a total of 3 CD's - 2 listed and one other to  give you the small amount of info I did. So 3 CD'd for one question - see how it gets expensive? But of course it is not all about money it is such great fun to do this and help people - that's where I get such a buzz having had to do so much on my own for years. 

I hope this makes sense and you do not think I am teaching you to suck eggs. I simply offer advice on how I did it until I have the collection I have now.

As you will already know to ask for info about a persons siblings, parents and so on is easy but it is so much more fun if you can get access to the resources immediately.
So if having thought about it you still want for what ever reason/s info on Lydia Horton I will take a look for you but do  let me know before I go off and spoil all your fun doing what you may prefer to do yourself?

If you are not sure about anything though DO ASK on here won't you.

Kind regards

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 January 14 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel, thanks for all that advise i really do appreciate it.I had a look at the site, still not sure which one would give me the most info for me It appears from what i already have that most of the earlier family originates and lived in the Deddington-Duns tew areas until  a moved to YorkCould you advise me which one to start with you think would be the best. I am guessing it will be a bit more cost once i convert to Pound from NZ Dollar,but well worth it i'm sure.I can see it would be fun looking up these things yourself,it already is just hunting on the net,its addicting.I wouldn't have been able to get where i am with out all the help i have had from this site as i haven't been financially able to join any of the sites as yet.Thank you again,regards Denise.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 January 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise

I think you would do well to get OXF-WOD02 first and go from there. But give me a few hours to check something out?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 January 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

By the way Lydia HORTON

Think about her last name , it can be spelt HORTIN, HORTEN and of course HORTON. Sadly the marriage entry, whilst it says her dad was a Farmer, there is no mention of where she was from.

We can guess she was born circa 1818.
Therefore it is a bit of a guess but likely her parents were married before 1818. in the OFHS Marr Index 1539 -1837 there are 8 possibilities of which 6 can be eliminated due to the dates. The closet before 1807 was 1759 = too early and after 1818 was 1822 to late - ??
The 3 I have considered at are;

7 Nov 1807 William HORTIN to Ann Harris, he was a Widower she a spinster, but no clues as to his occ. But there are no other HORTIN (spelling variants) bapt or buried in St peter Le Bailey Parish Oxford.

25 Nov 1802 William Horton to Ann Gunntripp at Thame - I don't have the OXF - TH01 CD which covers Thame itself.
17 Aug 1811 William Horton to Ann Willis at St Aldates, Oxford - no clues to be found in the PR's there.

Need to think about this and broaden the search.
You may be interested or perhaps already know, that most of what are now parks and college grounds and also so much of the Oxford suburbs today were farms in the early and mid 1800's  - so don't be lured too far away from the city just yet, back to the north of the county - We need to go through this process - if only for elimination?

Tell me your thoughts on what I offer here?

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Saunders look up request please.
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 January 14 07:22 GMT (UK) »
hi, i am afraid your guesses will be far better than mine on these as i have no other info to offer re the parents of Lydia. I have though been given her birth date, found by my cousin in York,but as Lydia Matthews, born 15 Jan 1816. i am hoping as he is going through the papers in the attic he may come accross other documents and letters pertaining to lydia. The family were hoarders and never threw much away so fingers crossed something may turn up,thanks very much for helping.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 16 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

By the way Lydia Horton

7 Nov 1807 William HORTIN to Ann Harris, he was a Widower she a spinster, but no clues as to his occ. But there are no other HORTIN (spelling variants) bapt or buried in St peter Le Bailey Parish Oxford.

25 Nov 1802 William Horton to Ann Gunntripp at Thame - I don't have the OXF - TH01 CD which covers Thame itself.
17 Aug 1811 William Horton to Ann Willis at St Aldates, Oxford - no clues to be found in the PR's there.

Nigel
Hi Nigel. Lydia Horten was born 15 jan 1816  according to a family register cousin found but that the only info on it. As the william Horton- Ann Willis marriage 1818 St Aldates.

1841 Census St Mary Magadalen area of Oxford household of

William and Anne willis
James Horton b 1819-1820
Thomas Horton 15 yrs

William-Ann Willis
James Horton
Eliz Horton w
Eliz Horton d

These I think are the Grandparents and probably parents of Ann Willis, did have the age but cant find them now, but were in their 60s-70s.
There is a Thomas Horton married Eliz  1871/81 St Ebbe  and baptisim for Thomas Horton 18-1-1824 St Giles.
1901 Census Thomas Horton, Widow, Bootmaker Blackfriars Rd
No mention of Lydia though, so still not sure if it same family.but Lydia would have been gone by then as married in 1839. no mention of farming either, but may have not been a farmer by then. just some more confusing stuff.