Author Topic: Cleveland ironstone Miners X-post  (Read 3163 times)

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cleveland ironstone Miners X-post
« on: Sunday 08 December 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Cleveland ironstone Miners:

Do you have any in your tree? I do - g grandfather died in the Lumpsey mine in 1910, having migrated to the Cleveland Gold Rush in the 1870s, before he was 20, with most of his Cornish tin-miner family.

There is a campaign, running out of time, to buy a little bit of Cleveland history here:
http://www.estonhills.info/index.htm

I think it is important to save a bit of history, so do take a look.
BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
Re: Cleveland ironstone Miners X-post
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 December 20 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm living in Eston on Churchill road we'v been here for about 15 years but in the 2ed year we did dig all the back garden down 13 skips of mud bricks  to a safe level to walk around I was very pleaded when we found a head of a clay pipe with 2 men running around it on both sides with flat caps on  a pony metal shoe and a medallion that is in good condition it was all rapped up in a cheez cloth that sory to say as perished now I think the medallion was used to tell peoples if that where down or up the mine but not sure I keep thinking should I rebury them or should I sell them and do 2 good things sell them so people can see them and Lean about them and where that come from and wat I make from the sale of theses items id give it to my favorite charity if you'd like to look at these memorable items give me a call  me and wife av a frend who joined a group of people paying for parts of the Eston hill but I keep for getting to mention it to her .......bsiggyme