Author Topic: Where was she born? - really stuck!  (Read 3786 times)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where was she born? - really stuck!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 November 21 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu, nice to "see" you again and I'm pleased you're on the mend.
You'll see further up the thread, that my grandmother is missing from  St Wilfred's register transcription - both her baptism and her wedding.  Did your friend ever get to look at the original registers? and if so, were there any obvious reasons her (and presumably others') records are missing eg registers damaged?

One possible reason for the wrong name Ginlen rather than Mullin could possibly be that the priest or clerk was a bit deaf (or had been at the communion wine!) and mistook Mulligan for Ginlen... doesn't explain the Sarah bit though.  By the way, Freebmd has no Ginlen events between 1870 and 1900 at all which rather suggests mistranscription as the name doesn't seem to exist.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 November 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to throw a spanner in the works, the St Augustine’s I know was a Protestant Church.
On Sanderson St. Off Queen’s Road.
I suppose it would be Miles  Platting or a continuation of Collyhurst.
A well known church as the Sunday School children, were always so beautifully dressed for the Whit Monday Walks , one lady made all the
dresses .
Viktoria.

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 November 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I am only just getting back into researching after having an enforced break for a few years, I got diagnosed with a pituitary tumour. Everything is good though, its been removed and I am slowly getting back to normal again.
You take your time, it is good to hear that you are in recovery.

I found your post because I too had lots of family living in the same street.

Take care

BS
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 November 21 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Just to throw a spanner in the works, the St Augustine’s I know was a Protestant Church.
On Sanderson St. Off Queen’s Road.

I've caught your spanner and replaced it in the toolbox.  :)
St. Augustine R.C. was at Granby Row 1820-1908. Moved to York Street 1908. Destroyed in Blitz 1940. Used Holy Family church (a chapel-of-ease to St. Augustine) 1940-1967.
www.lan-opc.org.uk/Manchester/Manchester/index.html

History including memories of a parishioner from 2nd half of 19th century. The original St. Augustine's church had a graveyard. It was excavated in 1875 and human remains ere re-interred at St. Joseph's cemetery, Moston.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Manchester/StAugustine
The map showing locations of churches has 3 markers for St. Augustine. (yellow marker = R.C.)

Added. The modern St. Augustine's church became the Catholic chaplaincy for University of Manchester. History on the church website.
https://st-augustinesrc.uk/welcome/welcome-index.html

Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 November 21 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes exactly right, I now know something new, there was a Catholic St.Augustine ‘s Curch at Granby Row.
Thankyou .
I have remembered the other location -Monsall, where the Protestant St,Augustin’s was .

Glad you can add more info to your research findings.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 November 21 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Several members of one of my Catholic families lived in Manchester 1820s & 1830s and were parishioners of St. Augustine's. At least one died there during those decades and was probably exhumed and reburied at St. Joseph's cemetery.
Some of their possible relatives were baptised at St. Mary, Mulberry Street in those decades.
Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society Catholic Registers Index
https://mlfhs.uk/databases/catholic-records
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 November 21 08:57 GMT (UK) »
St.Mary’s is called “ The Hidden Gem”, I have not been inside but it is described as being very beautiful.
Viktoria.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 November 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu, nice to "see" you again and I'm pleased you're on the mend.
You'll see further up the thread, that my grandmother is missing from  St Wilfred's register transcription - both her baptism and her wedding.  Did your friend ever get to look at the original registers? and if so, were there any obvious reasons her (and presumably others') records are missing eg registers damaged?

One possible reason for the wrong name Ginlen rather than Mullin could possibly be that the priest or clerk was a bit deaf (or had been at the communion wine!) and mistook Mulligan for Ginlen... doesn't explain the Sarah bit though.  By the way, Freebmd has no Ginlen events between 1870 and 1900 at all which rather suggests mistranscription as the name doesn't seem to exist.

Yes I remember. Unfortunately I never got chance to follow it up so its still pending.

I did try to check out Sarah Ginlen but like you I haven't found any possibles in the area at that time. I'm blaming the communion wine.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project www.mgctp.com

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 November 21 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Several members of one of my Catholic families lived in Manchester 1820s & 1830s and were parishioners of St. Augustine's. At least one died there during those decades and was probably exhumed and reburied at St. Joseph's cemetery.
Some of their possible relatives were baptised at St. Mary, Mulberry Street in those decades.
Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society Catholic Registers Index
https://mlfhs.uk/databases/catholic-records

My ancestors seemed to start off using St Augustine's and then transferred to St Wilfrid's. My ancestors, Michael Grant and Margaret Mulligan got married at Ancoats St Andrew which is protestant, all the baptisms for Michael's siblings and children were done at either St Augustine's or St Wilfrid's. Michael was buried at St Joseph's along with his father and brother. However, his wife, Margaret, is in the Church section at Southern along with her parents. So I think definitely a mixed religion marriage.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project www.mgctp.com

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire