Author Topic: Where was she born? - really stuck!  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where was she born? - really stuck!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 November 21 13:37 GMT (UK) »

I have managed to find a birth for Margaret and a marriage for her parents. She was born in Belfast in 1859 which is where her parents married in 1852.

I do think Margaret was protestant and that is why she wasn't buried with her husband at St Joseph's but in Southern Cemetery. I also found deaths and burials for her parents, William and Jane, who died in Chorlton Union Workhouse and who were also buried in Southern Cemetery.

What are the records you found for Margaret's birth and her parents' marriage?
Decisions about where a person was buried may have been influenced by what was affordable, available and convenient. Was Margaret buried in the same grave as her parents?  Was Margaret's husband buried in a private grave? How many other people were in the grave with him?
Cowban

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was she born? - really stuck!
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 November 21 14:08 GMT (UK) »
What are the records you found for Margaret's birth and her parents' marriage?
Decisions about where a person was buried may have been influenced by what was affordable, available and convenient. Was Margaret buried in the same grave as her parents?  Was Margaret's husband buried in a private grave? How many other people were in the grave with him?

I have the 1852 marriage record for Margaret's parents. I have found the family in Scotland in 1861 and Margaret was 2 years old and born in Ireland.

Margaret and her parents were all buried in public graves in MConsecrated at Southern Cemetery. Her mother was buried in 1903, her father in 1907 and Margaret in 1914.

Michael, her husband, was buried in C624 at St Joseph's in 1905 which is a public grave too. His brother and sister in law are also in public graves at St Joseph's. His father was buried in a public grave in the RC section of Philips Park  in 1870 (I was mistaken when I said he was in St Joseph's). His mother's death registration and burial are totally missing, I have searched for years.

As Michael died in between the deaths of Margaret's parents, it looks to me as if a conscious decision was made to bury him at St Joseph's. They all died in Chorlton Workhouse but were living in Gay Street, Hulme.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project www.mgctp.com

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire