Author Topic: Where was she born? - really stuck!  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where was she born? - really stuck!
« on: Wednesday 11 December 13 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

:)

I am trying to identify where my 2 x gt grandmother was born and am really stuck.  I was wondering if anyone has any ideas please as I just don’t know what to do next.

Her name was Margaret Mullin (Mullen) and she married Michael Grant at Ancoats St Andrew on 5th February 1883.   According to the marriage certificate she was 23 so born 1860.  Her father was William Mullin, labourer.   He wasn't marked as deceased on the certificate.  Michael's father wasn't marked as deceased either but he died in 1870.  The witnesses were John Grant and Mary Cannon (older brother and future sister-in-law of Michael Grant).  The address for both parties was 6 Catherine Street.

I have identified her on the census from 1881-1911.  She died in 1914, aged 54, so again that gives a year of birth of 1860.

1881 - RG11 3932  58 41
42 Peel Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock (aged 22, born 1859 in Chorlton-on-Medlock)
(In the 1881 census she was recorded as being married and in fact Michael and Margaret already had two children with the third arriving in August 1881);

1891 - RG12 3196 46 3
25 Bradshaw Street, Hulme (aged 30, born 1861 in Manchester)

1901 – RG13 3708
25 Bradshaw Street, Hulme (aged 42, born 1859 in Ireland)

1911 – RG14 23902
20 Gay Street, Hulme (aged 54 born in 1857 in Belfast)

The family were Roman Catholic even though Michael and Margaret were  married at Ancoats St Andrew.  All their children were baptised at either Manchester St Augustine or Hulme St Wilfrid.  Michael Grant died in 1905 and was buried at St Joseph’s RC Cemetery, Moston.  Margaret was buried in  the M Church of England section at Southern Cemetery.  Maybe Michael was RC and Margaret wasn't  :-\.

I have definitely ruled out this birth as I have the certificate:-

Margaret Mullen
2nd qtr 1859 Chorlton 8c 544
(daughter of Nathaniel Mullen and Catherine Mulveny)

I have a possible for Margaret Mullin in 1871 (RG10 4052) living at 1 Welchs Court (born 1859 in Westmeath, Ireland) but I don't know whether this is her or not.

Thank you.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
Re: Where was she born? - really stuck!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Were names of the children pre marriage registered in Mullin or Grant

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 15:19 GMT (UK) »
All three were registered in the name of Grant:-

Thomas in 1877, Michael in 1879 and Catherine in 1881.  The mother's maiden name on the birth certificates of Thomas and Catherine was recorded as Mulligan but on Michael's it was Mullin.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline HomemadeHetty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu

I would guess Belfast as it would be the first time she had completed the census herself as her husband had passed away - to be honest the 1901 census looks more like a continuation of the previous line and says England.

Regards

Sarah

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought, I wonder if there are 2 Margaret's, and Michael married twice, do you have the birth certificate of one of the younger children

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes Mary Hannah born in 1892 at 25 Bradshaw Street, mother's maiden name Mullin. All the baptisms seem to check out and I have 9 out of the 10 children she said she had when she filled in the 1911 census. 6 were still alive and 4 had died. I have only found 3 of the 4 so far.

Thank you all for helping.

Luzzu

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Michael was a bachelor when he married in 1883.

Luzzu

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I can't check until later because I'm at work but will take a look as soon as I can.

Luzzu