Author Topic: MERRICK NEILSON / HOT BLAST NEILSONS  (Read 1109 times)

Offline fergus.neilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MERRICK NEILSON / HOT BLAST NEILSONS
« on: Wednesday 11 December 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Just inadvertently trashed an eMail stating (essentially) "want to talk with you about Merrick Neilson". Apologies. Happy to hear from the trashee again! You have my eMail. Anyone else interested in Merrick and his extended family ... there is a chapter on the "Ironblast Neilsons" in my (self-published) book "The Corsock Neilsons" available on www.blurb.com or at the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Library in Dumfries. Regards, Fergus Neilson (resident in Sydney, Australia and possibly but only very distantly related to the much more esteemed descendents of James Beaumont 'Hot Blast' Neilson). ps: 2 zip in the Ashes and it feels GREAT. 

Offline jamesjdau

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MERRICK NEILSON / HOT BLAST NEILSONS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear Fergus, I have read your book with great interest, and thank you very much for the time putting it together. I am reading your book on behalf of my wife who is descended from a Janet Neilson who married a John Drummond in Scotland around 1798. This family is relatively well documented due to court cases involving property in Scotland, and because of the memoirs of Peter Carmichael on the Dundee textile industry. The court cases include references to Janet & John's daughter, a Christian Guthrie Drummond born in 1805.  The memoirs also note John Drummond was an assistant to Archibald Neilson of Corsock, brother to Richard of Corsock. It is because of these factors that I am hypothesing that Janet Neilson was the daughter of Richard Neilson of Corsock and Christian Guthrie (d.1794). I would be grateful for your views on this hypothesis. I am happy to send you a family tree and supporting materials. I look forward to hearing from you. best regards, James Dalton.