Author Topic: How to copy a photo in a frame?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
How to copy a photo in a frame?
« on: Thursday 12 December 13 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I need some expert advice, please!

We have been loaned a very precious photo of my husbands Great Grandmother, with a view to creating a digital copy that can be preserved for posterity (and ease of sharing around the far-flung members of the family!)

However, I have discovered that it is in its original frame and the nails holding in the back-plate have been varnished over (several times, it would seem!!) so I dare not risk trying to remove the photo from the frame to scan it.

I tried re-photographing it but it was difficult to avoid reflections. Any ideas, chaps?

Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to copy a photo in a frame?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 December 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm not an expert, but from trial-and-error while doing this kind of thing recently I'd suggest the following:
Put the photo on some kind of stand/easel, and use the best camera you can, mounted on a tripod.
If possible, get the camera to put gridlines on its screen/viewfinder, to help you get the alignment right and avoid skewing it. (However, some programs have tools or plug-ins for correcting skews, so this can be adjusted later if necessary.) Zooming the lens in or out is OK, so long as you don't go into the digital zoom range.
Use the highest resolution available, and allow some margin round the outside of the photo/frame - you can crop some off later, but you can't add in anything that the camera missed.
Don't use flash, and if the camera is up to it, use natural light only. However, any light coming from behind the camera will create a reflection, so make sure you have your back to a wall or a thick curtain. Overcast but brightish conditions are best, as the light is diffused, more constant and less directional than strong sunlight.
If you do use artificial light, again make sure that it comes from the side (preferably some from each side), and adjust the white balance as appropriate.
If your camera has it, use a delayed shutter setting to avoid any shake - this can occur even on a tripod.
Be prepared to take a number of shots with different settings - this may depend on what the camera is capable of, but try Auto and Manual as a minimum.

As an alternative to the easel/tripod set-up, I've had fairly good results by putting the picture flat on the floor next to a french door (out of direct sun), and putting the camera on a tripod with the head turned to point straight down. However, it's a bit tricky getting the right position as the tripod legs tend to get in the way - I found it best to have the tripod at maximum height and then zoom in.

As I said, I'm not an expert, and others may have other ideas, but this is what's worked reasonably well for me.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 December 13 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

A FlipPal mobile scanner will do this, but they are not cheap.

craggagh.

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 December 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks arthurk and craggagh - I've also posted it on the picture restoration thread!

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 December 13 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

A FlipPal mobile scanner will do this, but they are not cheap.

craggagh.
I wasn't sure about a FlipPal, since as far as I know they need to sit against the thing they're scanning. In this case, because of the frame, I doubt this would be possible.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk