Author Topic: Sent to a convent in Monaghan, why?  (Read 16785 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sent to a convent in Monaghan, why?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 December 13 19:31 GMT (UK) »
forgot to mention there is a 52 yr old Patrick Donohoe servant staying with Owens widow in Urbal in 1911 might be another brother that you mentioned.

Offline Neli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Onwards and upwards!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 December 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi dathai  ;D
'Interesting house and building return for Mullaghmonaghan.
no 1 convent  head Mother M A Farrell
no 2 Industrial school head Mother M A Farrell
no 3 Boarding school head Mother M A Farrell
so which did Mary Anne go to,boarding would suggest fee paying.'

That is interesting, sounds like Mary Ann[M A] (wild guess) was a busy woman  ;)
Do you mind me asking where you got that info as I am having no luck trying to find Convent info, was it on the Census return?
The story I have always been told but, I have no idea how true it is or how much is embellishment (as with most oral history) is that the parents of Mary Ann had owned a good sized farm of land which was taken by the convent in return for her upbringing.
When I asked how that could possibly be legal, in my more militant teen years, I was stoutly told that was just what the Church did in those days.
Looking back at it now the story still seems as full of holes to me now as it did then :-\

Not quite sure where you are going with the house at Urbal bit (although Mum always said the family was from Urbal and her parents are buried there) would you mind explaining your chain of thought a little more  ???

You could be right about Patrick although I was always led to believe the Donohoe's were relatively well off but, maybe there wasn't much left for poor Patrick after the others had taken their cut  ;D

Sorry for playing with the smileys, I couldn't resist them, they are so cheerful and Christmassy  8)

Nolan, Donohoe, O'Neill, McNally, O'Reilly

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:35 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census was a follow on from reply 3 in which Aghadowey gave a possible return for 1911 for Bernard and John, most ages on census forms can be taken with a pinch of salt ,just that it is the nearest possible combination of the same names and if you were to purchase Owens marriage cert it will most likely let you know if compared with Bernards marriage cert whether they are the same family or not.

Re the convent
if you get Eveleen Enrights census return and scroll down to end of page you will see
''House and Building Return(form B1) click on this and the returns for Mullaghmonaghan appear.
Dathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
If you view the House and Building returns for Bernards house in 1911 you will see that he lives at no 8 there is also another private dwelling no 12 which is vacant but is registered in Bernards name so he may have been well to do.

Offline mairenibhruaidheodha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 November 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Neli, Your story is amazing as I know of the people you refer to. I once lived quite close to where Mary Ann Donohue lived in Urble.  I am related to Katie Gorman who married Bernard.  It's true their home was burned accidentally and their daughter was sent to a convent in Monaghan although she left some time later and went to live with Mary Ann.  She is buried in Bruskey graveyard and attended school in Bruskey with the late Fr. Gerard Smith (this was confirmed by him).  As regards what happened to their farm I don't have any information. As well I know Katie had a twin sister Bridget who was married to a Bartley Lynch, Mullahoran.  Kind regards, Murphody.

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 January 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »

Hi Neli, I can empathize with you. My grandparents lived in 1922 just over the border from Monaghan, my grandma suffered with melancholia after the birth of my mum in 1922 she tried to drown herself on several occasions and was admitted to Omagh Asylum. She had 2 boys already ages 4yrs and 6yrs old my grandad worked in the woollen mill and they lived in a very basic cottage at the end of a long lane and when I say basic I mean no proper facilities heating or water or plumbing. My mum was taken and put in Middletown St Louis Orphanage to be brought up by the nun,s I think by the priest but I have never got to the bottom of it because my grandads sister lived with them and other cousins close by. Why didn't they look after mum. She stayed there till she was abt 15yrs old.  On retrospect now I think my mum was better off in the orphanage she was educated by the nuns, she was looked after in healthier conditions, she was lucky that the nuns who looked after and taught her were really nice and cared for mum lovingly we went back to visit them on many occasions. I still would like to know what really happened and would love to see a photo of my mum when she was a young girl, I have no photo's of my grandma either . Good luck with your research and getting more answers. Anne
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 January 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I know this thread started a good while ago and neli may already have found this information but new Irish resources have come online in the last few years so I'll post just in case the details are useful.

Death of Bernard Donohoe in 1914- note he suffered from heart disease for 1 year which isn't that long after wife Kate died & informant is sister Kate Galligan-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1914/05294/4471777.pdf

Wife Kate has TB for 2 years according to her death registration so perhaps Bernard was worn out trying to look after ill wife and infant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05350/4490326.pdf

Daughter Mary Anne born just after 1911 census-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01527/1619374.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!